Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone using a dedicated machine for on-line banking, portfolio tweeking?

Is there extra 'protection' against hacking attempts? I'm thinking of getting a cheap laptop, using a non-Windows OS (maybe Linux) a non-google browser (maybe Firefox or Opera), nailing the thing shut with the best anti-everything package (maybe Bitdefender, Macafee, Norton) and accessing only a handful of sites. Sites including 3 brokerages, a bank and a CC company. No e-mail, no surfing.
Non-actionable places (like MFO, M* and Bloom) would be accessed from the 'regular' laptop (the one I'm on now).
Is there merit to this or is it just overkill? I am venturing into stuff I know little about.
best, hawk
p.s. "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you" LOL

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2015
    Ha Hawk Mountain. The very thought occurred to me recently. Possibly, the dedicated machine would be immune from trackers, bugs, snooping, hacking etc. - since it would be only used to access a few secure sites.

No. I'm not ready to take that next step yet. But understand your very real concern.

Wish I had something encouraging to say. Truth is, we're all vulnerable - though I know T. Rowe and most of my other fiduciaries take great care in their efforts to protect account information - some more than others.
    -

My question: Does anyone really provide "real" or truthful answers to those challenge questions? You know - Mother's maiden name, first pet, place of birth? I sure as heck don't. Got enough favorite teachers, first pets and streets I lived on in third grade to begin writing a novel.:)

• DuckDuckGo is a internet search engine that does not track users nor keep any records.
  • Yes, I use DuckDuckGo for that very reason. As a search engine, it seems to work about as well as Google. As far as I'm concerned, Google and the NSA are two of a kind.
  • Does Windows not have a option to create accounts on the same computer? You could create a password protected account that only you can access. All the files created in that account would also be kept away from other users.

Apple has this option. When I let others use my laptop, (and that is rare) they use a guest account which erases all their history and logins/passwords.

That would. Be cheaper than purchasing another laptop.
  • I've thought about this a fair amount for years and I'm not sure I've come to any valuable conclusions but here's what I've decided. First, I think there are different kinds of "hacks". The most frequent being that you get an email or download something and it has a virus or malware attached to it and that causes a problem. I've concluded there are only a couple ways to defend against this. One is to be as careful as you can about what you open in your email and what you download. I feel like I read about these kinds of things and get "reminders" from my banks, brokers, etc. about how they communicate fairly often but I think it pays to be skeptical. A second is to have a decent software program or programs to protect against viruses, malware, phishing, etc. and you talked about that. I primarily use BitDefender and I've been very happy with it for years. And a third is to have a router with a modern up-to-date firewall. The technology gets better and better and I'm not willing to buy a new router every year, but I do try to check every once in while what's happening and I've replaced my router a couple of times when I thought there was the opportunity to upgrade my firewall. I think a separate laptop dedicated to performing a limited number of activities is probably most useful in limiting this type of risk.

A second type of hack is a direct attack on your network and your computer(s). I'm not convinced a separate computer helps you much here because if someone penetrates your network then they have the opportunity to attack everything on that network. I guess if you only turn the separate laptop on for the limited time you need to do something and then disconnect it then it limits this type of risk. I set my router so it doesn't "broadcast" my network. When I look at available wireless networks I see many of my neighbor's networks and also see that most of them are secured. But when they look at available wireless networks they don't see mine. Unless someone is trying to attack me personally, then seeing everyone else's network and not seeing mine seems like an advantage. The firewall and anti-virus/malware/phishing software helps also, but I generally assume if someone manages to penetrate my network then they're not likely to be stopped by anything else I have.

One thing I do pay attention to is my passwords. I have a handful of general passwords that are not the typically easy stuff to guess that you see articles about all the time, but they're not enormously complex either. I use them for things I don't care much about. No offense, but if someone can get into my MFO account and make comments as me, I wouldn't be happy but its not something I worry about a lot. On the other hand, each of my bank accounts and brokerage accounts has a distinct and more complicated password that gets changed several times each year. My hope is that if someone manages to figure out one of my passwords, at least they won't have the keys to the house.

Finally, I think the most dangerous type of attack, the most likely type of attack and the one you have the least control over are the attacks on third parties who hold your personal information. A separate laptop doesn't help with this at all. I like banks that use multi factor authentication and ones that "recognize" the computer you use and employ additional security if you're using a new device. The reality is, however, I have no idea how to determine whether my bank is better at protecting my data than some other bank, or whether Fidelity is better than TD Ameritrade or Schwab. I know all of these guys are spending a lot of energy and a lot of money to make sure there aren't any problems, but this is where I actually feel most at risk.

Maybe my concern should be more about the browser and operating system I use but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to have an informed opinion. I've read plenty of stuff and talked to guys who know much more than I do about the risks and most of the feedback I've received is that the risk isn't as high as some like to promote and that in part its a marketing, or anti-marketing, campaign. That's not to say Windows doesn't have its weaknesses, but as long as you keep it updated you're not taking huge risks compared to anything else. The biggest risk is that Microsoft is more of a target than other operating systems. As far as the likes of Google, you're probably more at risk with Facebook than you are with Google, but I try to use google as little as possible and I don't have a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram account at all.

Good luck and if you discover some great insights, please let us know!

LLJB