Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dow Jones Utilities off almost 9% from recent all time highs

Back in the days this was a favorite leading indicator for what was to come for the overall market. It peaked ahead of the market in November 1972 before the 73/74 market debacle and peaked in January 87 before the August peak and the eventual crash in October to name just a few. Technicians such as Edson Gould and Norman Fosback swore by the Utility divergence indicator. This used to be one of my favorite indicators. However, haven't watched it in over 15 years as I went to a strictly price only methodology.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Hi Junkster,

Yes, I have been watching the utility sector because it a one of the minor sectors of the S&P 500 Index and one that I try to keep at least a five percent position in within my overall portfolio. Within the past five years I have held, at times, up to about twenty percent in the utility sector. Today, as I write, it is now about eight percent.

Through the years I have also noticed that the utility sector seems to forecast coming interest rate headwinds. Now, since I don't own any utility stocks anymore it will be interesting to see if my mutual fund portfolio mangers that do hold utility stocks will start to trim positions. Perhaps with the recent FCC ruling on the internet as becoming a utility some fund managers now might start picking up some tech companies.

Know, I look at this frequently ... and, M* has utilities as an overvalued sector in it's Market Fair Value Graph currently by about eight percent which is down from a recent high of slightly less than twenty percent.

My best to you ...

Old_Skeet
  • Utilities now down over 13% from recent all time highs. Really ominous today down 3%.
  • Today seems to be a shift away from US-centric investments.

Japan holding up very well YTD as well as today. Any J-apan-unkster interest @Junkster?
  • bee said:

Today seems to be a shift away from US-centric investments.

Japan holding up very well YTD as well as today. Any J-apan-unkster interest @Junkster?

I never was much into international/foreign albeit this sure has been the year for them. Being in a trading/investing retirement mode I am only sticking with bond funds going forward. I need as minimal a drawdown as possible in old age.