Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

No surprise---again. M* fails to update

2»

Comments

• Tampabay said:

and at 5:00pm what would you do with that information? Just curious? Something you can do that you can't do at open of the market the next day......or are you just bored?
    I'm in a learning mode

It's not that they're intending to do something, but (I'm guessing) just checking it there. However, I guess my question is why there? Perhaps they have M* premium and are checking updates there and feeling that they are not getting their M* $'s worth if it's not updating on time.

If not that I don't know.
  • I hold my collected stuff in a self-made portfolio at M* via their "Portfolio Manager." I certainly do not need the price quotes by 5:00 p.m. But by 8:00 p.m., they ought to be there. I certainly do check other websites, which somehow manage to update much quicker than Morningstar, which HAS BEEN The Gold Standard for how many years, now? But the thing is, it's very easy to find day-end updates for each individual fund elsewhere, but to see the Big Picture, I need to see my total over at Morningstar in its Portf. Mangr. I would not be DOING anything at that point in the day, surely, just after the Markets close. ....Also, I'm a brand new "premium" member by virtue of my holdings with TRP. It's a perk offered at X number of dollars in your account(s) under management with them. Premium users, especially those who actually PAY for the prem. Morningstar service, are certainly NOT getting their money's worth, waiting until the wee hours to check to see IF M* has finally updated, and correctly. (Note: I do seem to see that Double Line is slow to report. They are in L.A., but not their Transfer Agents, US Bank: Milwaukee, yes? Anyhow, it's always the last of mine to update, and I wonder what THAT'S about? SOME things MIGHT not be Morningstar's fault.)
  • It cost me 50 cents a day..to get all the information I need to make buying and selling investment decisions everyday...MAYBE there are people (not really investors) out there that think 50cents is too much money to pay for that service but I Don't.....
    (plus I probably drop that much in the sand everyday)
    PEANUTS for what I need
  • Tampabay said:

It cost me 50 cents a day..to get all the information I need to make buying and selling investment decisions everyday...MAYBE there are people (not really investors) out there that think 50cents is too much money to pay for that service but I Don't.....
    PEANUTS for what I need

Ya, well. You're obviously smarter, quicker and richer than the rest of us. Which would put you into your own unique category, all by yourself. You can afford not to take seriously anything that anyone else says, and respond with the contempt which arises from your false sense of superiority. So, why don't you just walk into the Gulf of Mexico. And just keep walking.

• Why you changing your point "Morningstar cost too much for YOU"
    I don't feel that way and expressed it...if that makes me:
    "obviously smarter, quicker and richer than the rest of us"...that's YOUR opinion and its ok with me
  • There was a time when M* put the information out on a timely basis. That is how they built their reputation as the go to service for investment research. Reputation can be fleeting however.

US car companies built their reputation on well built cars that lasted. But in the 70's, they blew that reputation by producing crap and unfinished products. Many cars were missing key items as they sat on the showroom floor.

It's called complacency. While I admire Lizzie's coming on at MFO to explain the issue, it is the same PR that has been put out over the past few years on this same subject. M*Darrell has been posting the same thing over on their forums.

I can afford the premium service too but I do expect service in exchange for my money. M* is going on the assumption that they are the only game in town so you can either put up with their errant service or stay away. I prefer the latter.
  • Tampabay said:

It cost me 50 cents a day..to get all the information I need to make buying and selling investment decisions everyday...MAYBE there are people (not really investors) out there that think 50cents is too much money to pay for that service but I Don't.....
    PEANUTS for what I need

TB,

Nice to hear that you will splurge the 50 cents for the information. Now add the 25 cents for the Bud Light and you are now up to 75 cents a day.

Glad to hear you are a big spender and keeping the Florida economy afloat.

Mona

• Mona 75cents for Bud? where?
    I went to a foreign beer tasting yesterday, nasty stuff, I almost got ask to leave by demanding a bud light for "comparison".....wonder why they wouldn't give me one?
    what you think about my characterization? Smarter, Faster, Richer than this site?
    Well...
This discussion has been closed.