Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wikipedia Blacked Out ...

edited October 2013 in Off-Topic
OOOPS Sorry

Comments

• SOPA needs to die.
  • edited January 2012
    Google just blacked out its logo also in protest to SOPA and PIPA.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/wikipedia-sopa-pipa-article-1.1007847?localLinksEnabled=false

Any site like MFO that contains user generated content and provide links to such content can be may be found violating SOPA/PIPA. All it takes that someone makes a representation to your ISP and you are gone. No court generated action needed.
  • edited January 2012
    Will be interesting to see amount of response members of Congress get. Alot, would guess.
    Emailed ours. Just said opposed both bills and didn't think web sites should be cast as policemen re: the flow of information. I know it's alot more complicated, but that's what boiled it down to just to get quick response off.
  • Totally agree. Thanks-
  • The Senate sponsor pulled the bill this afternoon. Apparently, the word was received in washington.

Er, one of the provisions was a 5 year sentence for stealing a sone. As they said on the news, you could steall Thriller and get 5 years, when Mikey's killer got 4.

duh,

peace,

rono
  • Glad that bill got pulled. Big Brother is already BIG enuff.
  • Amen, bro.
  • rono:

This quote: "

Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, also posted a Facebook note urging the Congress to rethink the bills. It's "better to get this done right rather than fast and wrong," he wrote. "Stealing content is theft, plain and simple, but concerns about unintended damage to the internet and innovation in the tech sector require a more thoughtful balance, which will take more time."

The D.C. crowd has been doing fast and wrong for as long as I have been watching their actions. Cranial/Rectal inverstion still rules. 'Course, the crowning and glorious statement came from Nancy Pelosi during the healthcare bill; and just before the vote..........more or less "Let's pass this bill to find out what is in it."

GOSH, does that not just make one proud of folks who utter words like this, and at the time are Speaker of the House........third in line to the big chair. I recall seeing her jabber these words. Pretty sad.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: "Glad that bill got pulled. Big Brother is already BIG enuff. "

Yea, but as I watch governors and mayors sell off the publicly owned infrastructure, I don't hold out much hope for the future of the Internet or anything else.
  • Hi good people,

It's imperative that we keep the internet neutral and open. Sure piracy and counterfitting are wrong and need to be punished, but don't close Louisville Slugger because someone murdered their spouse with a baseball bat. Damnit, it wasn't the bats fault.

That said, in this arena, the gov'ts are in over their heads if they think they can willy-nilly start policing the internet - not without such overt censorship that it effectively destroys it. It's a web folks. Too many work arounds. And there are some very bright people that would get really pissed.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-shutters-megaupload-com-hackers-retaliate-011423326.html

Now please keep this particular incident in perspective. This appears to be a real pirate company and even they are able to muster a serious retaliatory strike. Think about the battles if they start pissing off companies like google, yahoo, amazon, ebay.

We discussed this stuff way back with regard to the UseNetNewsGroups. feh. They could shut down a server but you could still access the groups from 100,000 other different servers planetwide.

And all of this said, piracy and counterfitting are real problems. The rare coin market is swamped with top shelf counterfits and they're starting to counterfit the slabs of the 3rd party authenticators.

just some early morning mutterings,

peace,

rono
  • edited January 2012
    Reply to @rono: Ironically, this is sponsored by Texas Congressman Cornym who frequently outcry of government intrusions and big government.

Second comment I make is that how is this different with the censorship activities in the rest of the world. If US goes to this extend, than we have no right to be critical of other countries.

The biggest negative is that this law allows a select group to bypass the judicial due process and could be used to silence legitimate sites that are critical of their products, services etc.

First corporations became citizens and now they are our masters. Orwellian world but our so-called freedom lover congressman have no problem with it.
  • edited January 2012
    Good Evening,

So, pretend you're walking near one of the active volcanos in Hawaii; and I am a nearby, but fairly calm vent.

I have read a number of stories regarding the SOFA/PIPA legislation; and find this story link to help with an overview, and also includes some info regarding the shutdown of Megaupload. I don't know which way "moviefone" leans, but be aware of the site name.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/01/20/sopa-pipa-megaupload-anonymous_n_1218949.html?ref=moviefone

'Course one always wonders about what really motivates such legislation. Yes, there are those who will state the obvious; and folks should not steal......period.
    DMCA (digital millenium copyright act) was put in place years ago and the bust of Megaupload indicates laws are in place to handle things.

Another part of this is the data that may be lost for all time by the legal users of storage space at Mega. Tis why we do not store data outside of the home into the unknown zone....the cloud. External hard drives and memory sticks are cheap and affective.

As to the elected DC folks and their motivations; I find no fix. Yes, there are some there who are decent and well intentioned folks. I watched a few "on the hill" discussing the pending legislation and it was most clear that there was a very large gap in understanding. Not unlike too much of legislation these days, rush...rush; make it 2,000 pages long and no one will have time for a complete study before the vote. Past this, is the interpretation language placed after the legislation is passed.

Surely a sad state of affairs exists, without finding a view of why, or when it will improve before my ashes blow into the wind.

Ok, the vent is now becoming still again.

Thank you and good evening,
    Catch