Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How far could stocks fall Monday?

edited April 2015 in Off-Topic
Informative video on technical analysis by Ciovacco Capital Mgmt

http://chrisciovacco.tumblr.com/post/115471223191/how-far-could-stocks-fall-monday-morning-will-the

Comments

• Did they say anything about an increase? just wondering
  • edited April 2015
    My answer is from an essay by Bertrand Russell I was just reading called "What is an Agnostic?" http://scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts/2007/06/10/what-is-an-agnostic-by-bertran/
    The following excerpt has relevance to both religious non-believers as well as those who doubt the credibility of stock market forecasts.

Q: What kind of evidence could convince you that God exists?
    A: I think that if I heard a voice from the sky predicting all that was going to happen to me during the next twenty-four hours, including events that would have seemed highly improbable, and if all these events then produced to happen, I might perhaps be convinced at least of the existence of some superhuman intelligence. I can imagine other evidence of the same sort which might convince me, but so far as I know, no such evidence exists.
  • @MFO Members: Its not nice to fool with Mr. Market. Everyone expected a big sell-off today based on last Friday's job report. So far we have green screens.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://finviz.com/
  • edited April 2015
    @Ted:

Whom do you believe? Your screen - or the implacable predictions of the MFO Board?
    :)

PS - A lot of that green you're seeing is probably from the refiners - with oil up 4-5% at midday.
  • I have 14 investments up across all sectors....no more time For market predictions....
    Rays and Orioles...3:00pm Priorities please...Rays are undefeated..Maddon is 0 fer
  • edited April 2015
    Damn't! - Just when I expected they'd be giving away free gas at the pump, NYMEX jumps 6%.

$35 anyone?
  • edited April 2015
    Re the oil price structure- There's an interesting story today in the WSJ about new problems in the recycling industries: it seems that with oil so low the prices paid for recycled "virgin vinyl" as an energy feedstock have fallen by half, to the point that there is almost no demand at all for the recycled product at this time.

I had never really made the connection between vinyl and oil before, but an experience this last weekend certainly brought that home. A new "city-type" neighbor up at our Russian River weekend place ignored the "No Hot Ashes" warning on his recycling bin, evidently dumping fireplace ashes into the bin and then covering the ashes with yard waste.

As we were leaving for SF on Sunday I noticed quite a little fire in his driveway, threatening to make a momentary jump to the nearby bamboo hedge. The only thing that had prevented that was the fact that we had actually had a little rain the night before, so all of the brush was still pretty damp. Inspection showed that the main source of ignition was not the yard waste in the container, but the plastic recycling container itself. Let me tell you, that stuff is flammable! The violently burning bin was generating huge amounts of heat, which was then sufficient to ignite the yard waste.

If I hadn't happened to see the situation at that point we could very well have had a local disaster. As it was, a garden hose sufficed to take care of the situation. The amount of heat-potential energy stored in plastic is almost frightening, once you see something like that.
  • Scary indeed! I'm curious to know how you would explain all of these events in lieu of the fact that there is no such thing as luck. In a bone dry severely droughtened state, you just so happened to receive a little rain the night before. You, left at the proper time on your return trip to notice the fire before it became a calamity. Interesting.
  • @Mark- yes, that line of thought certainly occurred to me also, but I decided to ignore certain fatuous "personalities" in favor of straight reporting.
  • edited April 2015
    OJ - I tried to fire up the log splitter (about 6Hp) one cold day this winter by first warming it with an electric space heater set a few inches away. Dam plastic air filter cover caught fire on it. If hadn't noticed in time might have burned the garage down. Now I'm looking fo purchase a new AF cover. Didn't ya love back when engines were made all of metal?
  • "Didn't ya love back when engines were made all of metal? "

Hi Hank- kinda mixed emotions on that one, 'cause I'm slightly built and at that time I weighed only 120 lbs, so had a real hard time lifting those suckers. But at least they didn't tend to catch fire real easy...

Speaking of such, my wife still has a 1950's vintage Sunbeam cannister vacuum. All-steel construction, and I replaced the motor some years back. Went to lift that thing yesterday and couldn't believe how heavy it is. Come to remember on that, it did used to have a plastic carrying handle, but that broke off years ago and I replaced it with a metal handle. Damn thing is gonna outlive me!
  • Is that one of those manual pump vacuum cleaners?
  • edited April 2015
    No sir: gen-u-wine electrical powered.

My, we seem to have strayed quite a ways from the sky stocks falling on Monday! :)
  • @Old_Joe

Our house is having an investment problem in that we have exhausted all cash reserves for investing. Will have to watch for a laggard to sell to move to another area.

All of LSBDX was sold the first week of January, and all PIMIX was sold about 5 weeks ago. Still have about 35% in other bond funds.

Maybe just go all in, as the saying goes. Have not been more than 90% equity since the 2007 era.