Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ron Baron and His Thoughts on This Market.

Included is a video. Baron says the rate hikes are already priced in to the markets. One of the more sensible managers out there.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102765850

Comments

• @MFO Members: The 'Red Baron" makes some very valid points, suggest you watch the video.
    Regards,
    Ted

Baron Funds Website:
    http://www.baronfunds.com/
  • Mr. Baron needs to take a good look at his funds' expenses. They are not outrageous, but they are higher than they should be given the company's assets and the low turnover ratio in the funds. 1.30% for $5.3 billion BSCFX, compared to 0.15% for a small cap index fund?
  • Comparing Baron's midcap growth funds (of which there are many flavors)

to POAGX, based on both performance and expense, I'll stick with POAGX.
  • @Bee, Primecap funds have very reasonable ERs whereas Baron charges additional 0.25% 12-b-1 fee. I think there are better alternatives out there.
  • @MFO Members: Looks like BobC, Bee, and Sven won't be flying with the "Red Baron" today !
  • A long time ago I owned a few Baron funds and I was pretty happy at the time. But I saw an article about his appearance on CNBC yesterday and the headline suggested he's a billionaire. Can that really be true? Fair enough, he started his own firm many years ago and I'm sure he's made a good amount of money. But I thought being a billionaire was reserved for a small handful of massively successful people. Is he really in that league?
  • From Wickipedia: Net worth: US $ 2.0 billion (March 2014) [1]

[1] Forbes: the World's Billionaires - Ron Baron March 2014
  • So he's in the same neighborhood as Bill Gross ($2.3 billion in 2015 from Forbes). I'm not a huge fan of Bill Gross, but he co-founded PIMCO, ran a fund with 10 times as much money in it than Baron has in his entire firm and was widely touted as the best bond investor of his time. @BobC has a very good point about those expense ratios!