Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Inflation Game Plan / Positioning

edited February 2012 in Fund Discussions
I am curious how people intend on positioning their overall investments / portfolio when inflation (eventually) kicks-in? Inflation may be still off in the distance but once it appears in earnest, it seems it will be hard to stop and am guessing the folks in Washington may not want it stopped.

Given my relatively novice skill set and experience level, I'm not sure what type of investments (including non-financial) would be prudent to own.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    My view is that it's already visibly continuing to creep in, despite what the news says. However, if one were to believe that it could become severe (and I continue to believe that's a possibility), I'd suggest layering into various forms of inflation protection now.

Precious metals are one element, but as I've often said, I think there are many other forms of possible protection against inflation, such as infrastructure, natural resources companies, other commodities (I like ag long term) and I think prime real estate. Hard assets. Farmland, too, although there's no "pure-play" farmland investment for retail investors, just as part of larger companies.

Timber is another thing that may do well if inflation really takes off, although it hasn't done well in the last few years, given what's going on in housing and other factors.
  • Reply to @scott: I'm fortunate to own some farmland and would like to purchase some more if some sanity would come back to farm prices.

Relative to your other recommendations, are there Funds you would recommend to address Infrastructure, Natural Resources, and / or Prime Real Estate? I was considering small plays with VGENX, as well as USAGX for Precious Metals.

I apologize in advance if I'm asking stuff you've commented on in the past. I've been out of pocket on MFO for a while.
  • hi scooter. if you want to look at the inflation portfolio, look under the hood of some Target Date Income funds. BlackRock, JPMorgan and some others create income category for those approaching retirement, so the main goal is income of course, but also maintaining purchasing power (i.e. inflation protection). That's why these portfolios usually have 20-30% equities, 7-12% TIPs, around 3% in commodities and a share in REITs (physical RE or farmland would be preferable of course). For youngsters, those who mostly hold equities, there is little need for other inflation assets -- from the portfolio construction point of view. Since you already own farmland, broader allocation to diversified equities should suffice.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: Thank you for the advice and will do some checking into your suggestions.

Just a quick follow-up, why do you feel that for youngsters who mostly hold equities there is little need for other inflation assets? Do you feel equities should do well in an inflationary environment? FWIW, I'm currently 46.
  • edited February 2012
    Reply to @scooter: Brookfield Infrastructure (BIP) is - I think - the best infrastructure play, although it's gone up considerably in the last couple of years and is due (I think) for a pullback. Still, it does at least provide a 5% yield at this point. It is an MLP and holds a lot of various infrastructure plays under the umbrella - everything from rail in Australia to timberland to a toll road in Chile to ports and energy transmission. It has the potential to be opportunistic and buy up various infrastructure projects as it sees fit. The Chilean toll road was a recent addition towards the end of last year.

There are some mutual funds, as well; while I don't particularly like a lot of what Alpine offers, their global infrastructure fund is one of the better mutual fund infrastructure offerings, in my opinion, and can invest in EM, where some of the other funds, such as the Cohen and Steers fund, appear to focus on developed markets.

Pimco's new multi-asset inflation fund (real estate, emerging currencies, commodities, tips, gold, mild hedging) hasn't exactly done remarkably so far, but is conceptually an interesting fund.

Prime real estate is really a difficult thing in terms of specifics, as you get a real estate fund with a bunch of malls and I tend to think that real estate will more likely do well in a more significantly inflationary period. I do not like mall REITs in the US, aside from specific things (Tanger Outlet Stores would be a maybe, as I think outlets will do well) and I think even if things were to get better in the US, malls are overbuilt - those that do not evolve will not do well over the next 5-10 years will absolutely not fare well. I like prime space in major cities, such as Boston Properties, Vornado, Brookfield or some of the foreign REITs, such as BR Properties. It's hard to be specific, and I think I'm really looking at the replacement value of skyscrapers or other major properties in big cities.

Farmland is held to some degree by Glencore (GLCNF.PK), Sprott Resources (SCPZF.PK), Adecoagro (AGRO), Cosan (CZZ) and a few other ones I'm forgetting (there's another Brazilian one that starts with a C I think). US Global's resources fund (PSPFX) is the most aggressive - I'd say - mutual fund play, but it is hot/cold as a result. Still, I do think Frank Holmes is a highly skilled and knowledgeable manager. That fund does also have a *bit* broader range of holdings under the natural resources banner than most funds in the category do - for better or worse. Awesome that you were able to grab some farmland - I think I remember you talking about that on the board a while back.

There are also the MLPs - I like Salient MLP Energy and Infrastructure (SMF), which is the only MLP fund that can hedge. It is a closed-end fund.

Timberland is really more of a company-specific thing, although I believe there's an industry ETF.

If inflation really takes off, I definitely think there will be some stocks that will have much more difficulty passing off costs. I don't think equities will do well across the board.

Speaking of tactics, an article from Bloomberg this morning:

Pepsico waters down Tropicana:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-15/pepsico-adds-water-to-tropicana-to-juice-brand-s-margin-retail.html

a lol moment early in the article:

"Some consumers prefer orange juice that’s less thick. Others want juice with the “goodness” of oranges and fewer calories, said PepsiCo Global Beverages Chief Massimo D’Amore. And consumers will pay the same -- or more -- for such versions.
    “They themselves add water before drinking OJ,” D’Amore said. “So why not add the water ourselves and charge for it?”"

They just are looking for any way to offer less and charge the same.

Finally, recommended reading - two somewhat different takes on the future of the currency: Jim Rickards ("Currency Wars") and Barry Eichengreen's "Exorbitant Priviliege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar" - some local libraries may carry one or both, or visit amazon via the fundalarm link. Both books came out last year.
  • Reply to @scott: Thank you so much for your detailed and informative reply - I'll do some further digging...

BTW, have you researched or formed any opinions on VGENX or USAGX?
  • VGENX VGPMX FFRHX FSTFX RPHYX SCPZF.PK Also some gold and silver miners in mining friendly jurisdictions (Quebec, China.) I do the grocery shopping and bill paying like utilities, insurances etc. With online bill paying and personal finance software it is easy to reference the previous 12 months' payments for various services and derive the percentage increase due to the latest hike. Regardless of government figures, what is counted and how it is counted, this household's routine recurring expenses are increasing at an annualized mid to upper single digit percentage rate.

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2012/02/higgs-on-immiseration-of-personal.html

http://econompicdata.blogspot.com/2012/02/some-more-ugly-bond-math.html

An additional trillion borrowed last year, the year before, this year, next year.
    Someone pays. A thank you would be preferable to demonization but don't hold your breath.

• Howdy Pat,

We have maintained a simple "write it down" for expenses for years, and are also able to view the changes in costs. We use about 20 major categories. We miss a candy bar expense here and there, but do have a good overview of our budget costs over the years.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @scooter: The USAA fund is popular and has done pretty well, but I just continue to think that the best fund in terms of consistency and quality is Toqueville Gold (TGLDX) I own a small position in DWGOX, which I have as just a small, highly aggressive (and largely Canadian) play on prec metals companies. I'm not familiar with the Vanguard fund, unfortunately.
  • edited February 2012
    Hey Catch- Good point- we did the same for years before retirement, and there's been no surprises after retirement. By categorizing your expenses you get a good picture of what expenses are absolutely essential, and also where you could cut back if you had to. Can't imagine thinking about retirement without a really solid picture of the expenditure department.

It's worked really well, as so far our retirement expenses are pretty much the same as pre-retirement, except for the house mortgage, which was fully paid off prior to retirement. That chunk now pretty well covers our traveling expenses.

Not hard to do- at month end look at the checkbook and the credit-card statements, and plug those into the categories. For routine cash expenditures, assume mostly food- that puts the cash into the "essential" category, and requires little or no detailed accounting. Candy bars go there too.

Do this for a few years and you will easily see the spending patterns, and get a real good picture of your retirement income needs. Believe me, they will NOT go down substantially after retirement if you want to do anything more than sit on a park bench all day.
  • Reply to @scooter: yes, equities are natural protection against inflation. this is not my personal opinion of course, this is an industry truism and there is research behind it. you could think that as raw materials and labor are getting more expensive in the inflationary environment, the companies will have to increase prices to protect their margins. if you own their equities, you should be ok.
  • Read Steven Romick's latest commentary dated 12/31/2011 for his current outlook on inflationary and deflationary arguments in the current investment environment.FPACX as most of you know is a go anywhere fund with a strong long term record of success and capital preservation.The fund currently has very minor positions in farmland ,an office building and residential mortgages which several posters have identified as inflation protections.The good thing about FPACX and it's newer sibling FPIVX is the opportunity for beginning investors to invest a smaller amount to start with. This from the fund's App. Minimum Investment Amount ($1,500 Minimum or $100 and establishment of Systematic Purchase Plan) Here: http://fpafunds.com/literature.html
    Commentary here:http://fpafunds.com/hc_crescent.html
  • I've recently started to arrange my fixed income bucket because of the inflation fears and the talk about bonds taking a beating. I've decided to use a couple (new to me) funds that use other income streams along side U.S. bonds. One is RPSIX, a fund of funds that holds around 20 % of T Rowe Price Equity Income along with a diversified collection of other TRP bond funds. It has ~ 20% in International/EM bonds. The other alternative type fund I'm going to use is PGDPX. I first heard of this fund on this board from KevinDow - thank you Kevin. It's a very diversified income producing fund using HY bonds, real estate, MPL's, income producing equities...

Here is a lnk to the Principle Global Global Diversified Income fund web site for a more accurate description. http://www.principalfunds.com/investor/promo/gdif/

The other diversified fund I've used in my fixed income bucket for a while now is HSTRX. This fund is pretty conservative with consistant returns year after year.

I reduced but still holding on to some LSBRX and MWTRX

So I'm hoping that when inflation starts to take off, these diversified type allocation funds will hold up better then your typical total return or intermediate bond fund will. I know it's not a traditional bond/ fixed income portfolio, but it offers more flexibility in the fixed income category.
  • Reply to @MikeM: I also own/would recommend the Principal Global fund.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: Thank you...
  • Reply to @scott: I'll do some more reading on TGLDX - I had kinda dismissed it as I thought it was strictly a play on Gold and Gold Miners...