Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Norway’s wealth fund wants less of Europe, more of Asia (LIP)

edited February 2012 in Fund Discussions
Europeans don't want Europe?
⇒ Da Link

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Semi-similar:
    "Americans Dump World as World Dumps America":
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/americans-dump-world-world-dumps-america

As for Norway, I agree with their view on Asia, although I think (selectively) there are opportunities at this point in Europe.

Novozymes CEO today in Bloomberg;

"Feb. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Novozymes A/S, the world’s biggest maker of enzymes for biofuels, is focusing its expansion efforts in Europe, China and Brazil and isn’t pursuing new projects in the U.S. because of the lack of political support.

“The policy signals sent to the market are not consistent” in the U.S., said Steen Riisgaard, chief executive officer the Copenhagen-based company, in an interview at Bloomberg’s headquarters in New York. “The U.S. is losing momentum now compared to the rest of the world. The momentum is no longer here. It’s in China and Brazil.”"

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-02-16/u-s-losing-momentum-in-biofuels-makes-novozymes-target-brazil.html
  • Norway has stayed out of the EU and the euro monetary zone; they don't have any particularly overwhelming attachment to Europe officialdom.

I recall that one of the reasons for keeping out of the EU was that they wanted to be able to have a national food security policy, and the EU was hell-bent on taking a lowest-common-denominator market approach. I traveled in Norway around the time that was happening, and was taken with the number of very small farms. It looked really good compared to the typical government-commodity-corporate model, with its subsidy structure for crummy food shipped a zillion miles, and no support at all for good, local food.
  • Reply to @Anonymous: lol. +1.
  • Thank you Scott.I've tried to add to these discussions the past 10 or so days and have enjoyed it.I try to stay on topic and have already been slightly scolded by Ted.Most of what I post will try to be helpful.But it may come with a touch of irony, skepticism, and or cynicism,but mostly tongue and cheek.And possibly political but never the correct kind.As I see it,a Sovereign Fund in the US would have been long gone.Something about" other people's money" !