Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Pledge: It won't be my fault this time... Just so you know

edited February 2012 in Off-Topic
As I mentioned some years ago on FundAlarm, I've been keeping our financials on a spreadsheet for some 20 years now, and many, many times I've had to readjust the various profit/loss charts because the market changes exceeded the chart range in one direction or the other.

When I've adjusted the charts to accommodate a greater decline range, the market has most often cooperated by using up the new space allocated on the charts.

Regrettably, the reverse is definitely not true. Virtually every time I have increased the chart ranges to accommodate a profitable market, within a short time the market crashes and the new chart space remains unused. In the first quarter of last year I made room for the great market, and by the third quarter the charts were in negative territory.

To one and all: I hereby pledge that even though the present market is now well off my charts, (the charts having been adjusted downward last year in the third quarter) this time I will NOT make any changes to the damned charting ranges. If the market crashes this time, it wasn't me!

Comments

• I thought it was Greece but now we know who was really responsible. It was the power of charts;)
  • Yeah... I'm very sorry about last year...
  • edited February 2012
    I'd say next time you chart poll the board members first. Than you'll know for sure which way she's going & not waste all that paper.