Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Rare Art though you might disagree

edited February 2012 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Yikes - sorry to hear that the collection was dumped. I would like to hope that my baseball card collection will be worth something in a few decades. Oy, did that whole industry ever go into the crapper. Given how well rare art is selling, I'm surprised Sothebys stock isn't doing better.
  • Not sure if anyone has studied how much credit comic books deserve for our generation's ability to read. No TV, so comics were a definite prod to improve reading skills at a very young age.

Those would have been fun just to look at a few if nothing else. Probably a significant amount of money, too- unfortunately. Sorry to hear about your loss.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dunno about you, but if I had saved mine they wouldn't be "firsts" and they sure as heck would not be in anything close to excellent condition.
  • I just loved Little Lulu. Wonder what became of her?
  • edited February 2012
    Little LuLu's family going forward.........she became the grandmother to actress LuLu, of the movie, "To Sir with Love". LuLu #1 also became the great-grandmother of Lady Ga-Ga; with an indirect offshoot of a family member forming the clothing company of "Lululemon". This is all that I am able to trace in a reliable fashion.
    I can not verify a reported family connection to Bam Bam of the Flintstone clan.
    One later family member is reported to have penned the acid rock era song of; Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Hey, I was just in the mood.
    :):):)
    Catch
  • edited February 2012
    I think all of us can empathize with your tragic loss and unrealized capital gain - "dusty comic books purged before reaching maximal value"

You probably won't read this book, I did a few years ago.
    The ten-cent plague: the great comic book scare and how it changed america / David Hajdu
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/books/review/Powers-t.html?pagewanted=all

Some folks may not know or remember some of these tidbits captured from the book.

In April 1948 Detroit was the first city to crack down on comics. Had an ordinance that banned comics. Sept 1948 the county of LA outlawed the sale of crime comics to minors ($300 fine). BY March 1949, laws to regulate comic books were pending in 14 states. Churches and community groups raged and organized campaigns against comics. Schools held public burnings of comics and students threw thousands of comic books into fires. Soon congress took action (led by you know who) with a set of televised national hearings that nearly destroyed the comic-book business. ... more than 800 lost their jobs (artists, writers and editors).

---
    I have read a few good graphic novels (the new longer comic available in libraries).

One particularly good graphic novel besides "Maus".
    was

Seymour Chwast’s Divine Comedy (it is a cliff notes of sorts with pictures to accompany Dante's).

"I, Dante, will tell you the story of my trip to the after world... but will I come back?" So begins Seymour Chwast's noirish graphic adaptation of what is perhaps the world's most famous tale of spiritual tourism, the Divine Comedy.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2010/11/seymour-chwasts-divine-comedy.html
  • edited February 2012
    I was reading a book the other day and the person was talking about clouds and the study of them citing it as nephrology. I was wondering to myself did the clouds look kidney-shaped or did the person not know the difference between nephology and nephrology or did the editor "fix" it or did the proofreader "miss it". I digress, the book was called "MOBY-DUCK:The True Story of 28,800 Bath Toys Lost at Sea and of the Beachcombers, Oceanographers, Environmentalists, and Fools, Including the Author, Who Went in Search of Them".By Donovan Hohn http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/books/review/Royte-t.html.
    I was interested in the story but the author flubbed past my limit on allowable errors and I wasn't impressed with the authors writing style.

My point being - books can be wrong, newspapers can be wrong, scientific journals can be wrong. I guess the best way to verify things is to get your info from multiple sources and hope they are not rehashes of the same thing. The big question - were the articles cited in wikipedia incorrect as well.

The only reliable source these days are the guys with the "political blogs" and "talk radio". :). (reliable in that they are distorting some facts).

By the way, if the NY times article cited at [2] in your wikipedia article was incorrect - wouldn't you put a [sic] rather than change the quote attributed to the article.
  • edited February 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2012
    Mo said:
    Of course any source can be wrong. But the difference in all the media you sight [sic] is, that you at least are likely to know who is wrong when you find errors. By my making this change, no one knows who did it [sic], or even that the change was made.[sic].

I probably used sic wrong, however, you are a bit correct and a bit incorrect. The change you made was logged in the history at wikipedia. Date, time, user, and article changed have been logged. They do have a method of barring editing. As for, accuracy, it has the "capability" for being the most accurate and precise info since there are so many eyes looking at it.

you may remember Paul Revere warning the british and the siegenthaler deal.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/business/media/11web.html

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-06-06/news/30096887_1_sarah-palin-wikipedia-paul-revere

Frankly if I need the facts I just check with Sarah P, Rick P., George B, and Jayson Blair and Stephen Glass. Both Stephen and Jayson wrote books - The fabulist was the better of them. Of the 5, I don't know which I find more amusing.

I did check the original NYT stories with respect to the wikipedia article you changed and the wikipedia citation is probably an amalgamation of one of the books quotes and not a direct source from the NYT because the two articles do not say what is in the indented paragraph, so you can sleep at night you just corrected an incorrectly cited reference attributed to the NYT.

Incognito 0n the web - NOT - The above was blather, what is below is scary:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/24/147356632/weaving-around-web-privacy-controls

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/22/147189154/how-companies-are-defining-your-worth-online

Yes, they track ips.
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Maurice- yes, for once I agree with you, but I do make quite a distinction between Wikipedia articles that have a potential for bias (in any direction) vs articles dealing with relatively non-controversial subjects. For example, years ago I authored a significant portion of an article dealing with a certain type of radio system, typically used by public safety agencies in larger metropolitan areas.

Over the years I check it out every so often, and to my pleasure I found that others had come in after me and both edited my material and supplied additional information as well. I have to say that I feel that the end product was quite a bit better after all of the smoke cleared. However, I am always on my guard when dealing with possible controversial subjects.

As a matter of possible interest, the sections from "Comparison with telephone trunking" to "Advantages of trunking" are primarily my work, and the radio systems used as examples are in fact the San Francisco Public Safety Radio System, with which I was involved for many years.

With Wikipedia there is in fact a complete log record kept and available, showing each and every edit version from the very beginning of the topic, and that record also shows either internet data relating to the information source, or other author-information if they have chosen to log in.

Also, never underestimate the fact that there are always lots of readers ready to question the validity of posted information, and generally speaking this tends to keep things relatively honest. Just like here on MFO, as you and I both know only too well:-).