Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Just a reminder - "Debate" tonight

13»

Comments

• edited September 2015
    "Yes, but she prattled them off with such power and conviction, she clearly won the night."

We have a "budding" poet here. Nice.
  • >> sure this disclosure will solicit some angry outbursts, likely one from davidrmoran.

Huh?

MJG, you have been told this before by others, about your great presumptions lasting even into your nominally seasoned dotage, but you do not know shit about me other than my posted reactions here to airy bunk, misunderstanding of plain evidence, and fantasies of explanation and causality. About my military service, or not, or my family's, my Ike leanings, McGovern leanings, feelings about McCain, or even about my poor ex-gov Mittens, anything. DoD work, etc. Was it you who wrote recently 'this should end now'? Get a grip when you get successfully shot at about your reading comprehension, and man up when you step in it. Ex-mil, huh; leadership.

PRESS, lol, yes, confidence goes such a long way when talking about HP success and all else including grossout abortion lying. Please tell me you've seen the CF yacht ad.
  • @MJG, What were your thoughts on John Kerry and George W. Bush in 2004? Kerry was a decorated military man with three purple hearts and silver star medals. I know he was attacked in the Swift Boat ads, but then there was evidence that both Bush and Cheney avoided serving on the front line. So I'm curious as to your thoughts.
  • Gently speaking LB,
    Evidence? 'Front line'?? Bush totally ducked to flee to AN Guard and then got booted out of it for noncompliance, while Cheney was yellow by any standard of the time:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/01/politics/campaign/01CHEN.html
  • @David, It's harder to have a dialogue with someone who thinks differently from you without being gentle.
  • Here is my $.02. What we need is for Aaron Sorkin to write us a new president. None of them seem all that suited to lead the country, so let him create one for us. West Wing, American President seem to have good ones:)
  • Hi LewisBraham,

My forecast of a cloudburst was spot on target.

I promised a topic closure a few posts ago, and I want to honor that promise. No more presidential comments from me at this juncture.

Let's get back to mutual fund and investment strategy discussions.

Whatever happened to respect for a divergent viewpoint? We learn most by carefully listening to the arguments contained in an opposing opinion. It helps to crystallize our rationale for a taken position or encourages us to change that position.

Best Wishes.
  • Ever the fake innocent, jeez, ever turning it away from oneself. Oh, did I piss on your leg? Well, why was your leg there? 'My forecast of your reaction was spot on target.' Chicken is not ex-mil behavior.
  • Can't wait for the Dem debate!
  • and IBD commentary! That will be lolz for sure.
  • @davidrmoran

and Krugman post-debate editorial!!!;)
  • You may count on his sharpness, else you do not know his style.
  • edited September 2015
    I've promised to link an IBD critique on the Dem debate in the interest of fair play. Their recent critique of this Republican debate suggests they were wearing horse blinders (also known as blinkers or winkers) for three hours. Their take on the Dems should be equally enlightening.
  • Thanks. Is it linkable? Don't follow IBD.
  • Are they going to allow Bernie to debate, since he isn't a Dem? I would think Hillary would forbid him to participate! He and Biden are the only ones who have the potential to liven things up a bit, IMO.
  • edited September 2015

Thanks. Is it linkable? Don't follow IBD.

I read IBD on Kindle. It's hard to link online. http://gravelle.us/aggregator/sources/33
    (IBD September 18, 2015).

Click 12th article on the list: "GOP's Deep Bench Shines... "

To check for entirety,

Opening line: "Campaign 2016: The presidential contest that got off to ..."

Final line: " ... Americans will agree that the GOP this time around is providing a choice, not an echo."
  • Whoa, tyvm! This is really rich, and I had no idea.

No wonder nobody takes IBD pol reportage seriously. I did laugh out loud. Maybe it was at this:
    \\\ Obama's oppressive mix of higher taxes and massive new regulations choked off what should have been a fast and furious recovery after the Great Recession.

I don't think even the most econ-psycho of rightwingnuts (Taranto, WSJ?) ever expected an F&F recovery that was being screwed up by (himself alone) the Muslim Kenyan.

Wow, that is good stuff to write and date this week.
  • @davidrmoran I don't think even the most econ-psycho of rightwingnuts (Taranto, WSJ?) ever expected an F&F recovery that was being screwed up by (himself alone) the Muslim Kenyan.

I wish the Fed would raise interest rates, so we could put the "Muslim Kenyan"'s F&F economy and policies to the test.
  • Not the time yet. Soon, though. No one has made any F&F claims other than IBD loon.
  • @davidrmoran

I have been trying to decide for months whether to sell my overpriced house and buy an equally overpriced house in SWFL or move to another, less expensive area in FL, or sell and rent till this mini bubble bursts. I have a gain on my house and don't want to ride it down...I suspect a lot of this new building boom, although not as frenzied as the last one, is due to ZIRP, not economy.
  • Wow, there is a building boom in Fla again?? (Pardon ignorance.) Last time I drove through Ft Myers, seems only a few years ago, it was nonstop abandonment of new-looking stuff.

The usual advice, may not apply to you, is if you need a place to live and like what you are living in and can afford it, keep things as they are, don't try to play it or time it. Not an investment, fundamentally. This does not apply to you, you feel?
  • @davidrmoran hardly any inventory here...new construction like crazy, but expensive. No emotional attachment to house whatsoever, but love the golf situation down here. All bargains are gone...sounds like you were in SWFL at or near the bottom (if you bought then, you would have a nice profit).

I probably would stay where I am, but am concerned about potential flood insurance situation in the future and loss of property value if things change.
  • esp if Fla goes underwater in the next couple decades ....

No, never lived there, many friends though, and have a timeshare on Sanibel. Live in the v expensive Boston suburbs.

Maybe those mile after mile of newish but abandoned and grassed-in foreclosures from the RSW airport out to Sanibel are all sold and inhabited by now. That would be just amazing. I guess the situation would not be the same, would be dynamic, now that I think about it. One of the many nice things about capitalism, its occasional self-healing capabilities.
  • @David, It's harder to have a dialogue with someone who thinks differently from you without being gentle.

I am VF and I approve this message:-P
  • @davidrmoran

I have been trying to decide for months whether to sell my overpriced house and buy an equally overpriced house in SWFL or move to another, less expensive area in FL, or sell and rent till this mini bubble bursts. I have a gain on my house and don't want to ride it down...I suspect a lot of this new building boom, although not as frenzied as the last one, is due to ZIRP, not economy.

In the Atlanta area - the developments that stopped building after the last bust have begun to be developed. In short the building has begun again. Housing prices are not crazy yet.

So, my suggestion would be to wait. I think the FED lack of action says something - slow growth, low inflation, which should be good for housing.

• Agree and good to hear. Way crazy in the Northeast, however.

This was not me but @little5bee.