Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

welcome to the discussion a/k/a help board for MFO's premium tools

edited March 2016 in MFO Premium
For those of you who don't know me, I'm MFO's technical director and one of the two people - along with Charles - who are responsible for helping users when they encounter glitches or have concerns with something they've seen when using the premium screener or another tool.

You have two options for tracking down solutions: you can send a note directly to one of us (in both cases, it's just our name followed by @mutualfundobserver.com). Either of us might be able to help with site access or related technical concerns.

The second option is simply to click on "start a new discussion" on the upper left of the discussion board board. Charles, David and I check here a couple times each day and we'll offer whatever help we can as quickly as we can.

Either way, welcome!

chip

Comments

• It'd be cool if subscribers could upload a custom return stream and analyze that. Users could take a look at how their overall portfolio performance shapes up.
  • Putting in LC x 3 (meaning all types), 15y for age and tenure, 1% ER or lower, Risk 1,2,3, and everything else No or Any.
    Getting no results.
    Must be misunderstanding something here.
  • edited December 2015
    Hi David.

I will look into shortly and see what's up.

About to go live with reformatted AVERAGES page.

BTW...performance through November was updated couple days ago.

c
  • tnx, as always
  • ok...

3 lcs...

yields 634 funds through nov '15...

• edited December 2015
    now, 3 lc funds age 15 years or more...

yields 326 funds...

• now, 3 lc funds, 15 years or more with manager tenure 15 years or more...

yields 77 funds...

• edited December 2015
    ok, now 3 lc funds, 15 years or older age and tenure, and 1% er or less...

yields 40 funds...

• ok. last step...mfo risk group 1, 2, 3, which translates to very conservative, conservative, and moderate funds, which is based on volatility relative to overall s&p500...

which yields...

none

just like you said...

• edited December 2015
    The reason David is that all 40 funds meeting the previous criteria are in Risk Group 4 and 5.

If you just look at 3 lc fund categories of moderate risk or less, you'll find...14 funds, but with either higher er or shorter life or tenure than you specified.

Hope that helps.

c
  • Which leads to the conclusion that SP500 is actually less risky than any LC fund the last decade or two? Seriously? To get any funds to look at I need to go risk 4? Wow.
  • Quick follow-up thought...

You might try repeating the search but specify All Share Classes not just Oldest Share Class...

watch out for load though!

c
  • k, thanks again; I figured I had made some mistake or other:)
  • edited December 2015
    @daivdmoran.

No mistake on your part! I look for moderate risk equity funds all the time...just hard to find.
    Which leads to the conclusion that SP500 is actually less risky than any LC fund the last decade or two? Seriously? To get any funds to look at I need to go risk 4? Wow.
    Basically, since the s&p 500 is mostly large caps, most large cap equity funds have risk (volatility) close to s&p 500, which by our definition gets a 4.

Just the way it is.

c
  • >> most large cap equity funds have risk (volatility) close to s&p 500, which by our definition gets a 4.

Not following. Is SP500 less risky than any funds w a 3 rating? Always? Never? Or to put it the other way, no longterm LC mutual fund is less risky than SP500 by these criteria?

Sorry to be dense, but this seems unbelievable.
  • Yeah, that's kinda what I see.

Most LC funds have volatility measured by STDEV, DSDEV, or Ulcer Index similar to S&P 500 (specifically between 75 and 125% of S&P500).

Pretty broad, I know.

I suppose we could up Risk Group rankings to 1 thru 10, just at time did not want to make it too precise...you know, like measuring a marshmallow with a micrometer.

But, maybe not.
  • Understand about Martin etc, and will investigate in detail per your suggestions; thanks. Implies that if you have an LC fund that is similar to SP500 in most respects, it becomes riskier simply from the passage of time. Unless I am missing something, entirely likely. Hard to believe that. Must check vs Danoff, e.g.
  • Please make this (or a similar thread) a sticky.
    Thanks.
  • edited January 2016
    Hi InformalEconomist.

We gave these posts/announcements their own Category so any time you want to view just click on MFO Premium on left side of screen...it is essentially "a sticky".

• I find the Multisearch to be an extremely useful tool. Also very much like having a single page for menu settings as compared to the usual procedure of clicking through multiple tabs. Congratulations on some inspired programming!