Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Editing a "reply to" post

edited March 2012 in Technical Questions
I've noticed that when I "reply" to a post, it lines up as an indent beneath the post I'm replying to, but if I go back to edit anything in my post, it defaults to the left margin with the appearance of a new post.

Is there any way to fix that so that an edited post stays indented beneath the original?

Comments

• Got a link to an example where this has happened.

It looks ok here
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/9763#Comment_9763

reply to ibartman is indented one place.
  • edited March 2012
    if you are going to ask a question - have you ever considered following up?
    So it can be determined if it really is a bug.
  • edited March 2012
    Reply to @Accipiter: I have seen the same thing to occur to me as well.

Here is to reproduce:

1) Post a reply using the "Reply" link.
    2) Click "Save Comment"
    3) Edit the same reply using "Edit" link.
    4) Click "Save Comment"

This time indented view is lost. The post is flush to the left margin. This is a temporary situation. If you go back to the board and re-enter the thread it displays indented again.
  • Reply to @Investor:

Thanks with clarification. Since it is temporary, it may not be worth the bother.
  • Reply to @Investor: So that's what's happening. I saw that too but since it self-corrected I thought that I had simply lost it (again).
  • edited March 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe:

Test OAKBX. Also when editing a thread that contains a fund or etf, the fund pop-up will not be available.
    This too, is a temporary situation. If you go back to the board and re-enter the thread
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Works fine/lasts long time!
  • Accipiter, Maybe I'm missing something here, but am only able to display 5 lines of what I typed in the reply box. If I type beyond 5 lines, the top ones disappear. Hitting "edit" doesn't help. Simply shows the first 5 lines. Longer messages would be difficult to write (not that the limitation doesn't have its merrits).
  • edited March 2012
    Reply to @hank:

I can only say what I see in firefox browser the box expands as I type, it starts with five line and each time I hit enter the box resizes. I tried entering 20 lines and all were visible. So, either you are missing something or your browser is missing something:). Maybe others will chime if they experiences the same thing as you.
  • edited March 2012
    Reply to @Accipiter: Thanks. FWIW it's the Safari browser standard on IPad. Tonight's is first problem like this. Noticed it in reply to John.

• Reply to @hank: It should be something related to iPad. I am typing this on Safari 5.1.2 on MacBook Pro (still Snow Leopard) and it is working well for me.

Is Javascript enabled on your iPad? Perhaps that is the culprit or perhaps Safari on iPad is slightly different (it uses webkit underneath) Do you see the small resizing handle on the lower right of window? If that is visible sizing the box using that.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks Investor. No resizing handle - but making progress. If you just keep typing you loose the top lines and can't edit them as you write. However if you hit return several times first, the box expands and you can than fill it in without loosing anything. Much better. Not sure how that will work editing a longer post. I'll give it a try. ....Yep. When I hit edit the full message of about 8 lines came up. Guess the trick is to resize the box using "return" before putting in the text. This is a situation where the IPad would normally scroll (vs using up or down arrows on a regular computer.) Scroll seems disabled on this site for some reason, but the work-around is just fine. Thanks all. Have a good evening.
  • Reply to @hank:

Does the problem occur in the non-embedded version of vanilla.
  • edited March 2012
    Reply to @Accipiter: Not sure on the terminology. Below is link used first to access summary page. From there I navigate to "Discussions" by clicking on one of the topics as they appear on summary page. May recall we went to the link below due to low bandwidth.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/mysum-absolute.php

• edited March 2012
    If the wordpress menu with the Bull logo appears you are embedded, if not you are using the non-embedded version.
    see this discussion - the links inside point to embedded and non-embedded.
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/2463/to-get-to-mfo-home-page-in-non-wordpress-menu-newly-added-option#Item_7
  • No Bull - must be using non-embedded. Problem mostly when pasting a link following original message & not anticipating amount of space needed. (Link appears and message goes ooops) As noted earlier, can work-around it with a little care. BTW - Thank you for all the TLC you devote to keeping this board running smooth!
  • edited March 2012
    I'm testing from Safari on an iPhone to see if I can replicate the problem.
    Test
    Test2
    Test3
    Test4
    Test5
    Test6
    This is using the embedded version of the discussion and the box expands correctly as I type.

Edit- interesting where my comment posted.