Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Driehaus Capital has Thoughts About Demise of 3rd Avenue Focused Credit

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Nice commentary. To keep things in perspective, the average high yield corporate bond fund is down 3.83% YTD per Morningstar. Not exactly end of the world news. But as I said a few times here, I hope it gets worse, much worse. That wish alone probably means it won't.
  • Hi @Junkster

No longer an "investor" in HY from about 1 1/2 years ago; but I indeed pay attention.
    I took a peek at some old numbers today just for the hell of it using only the etf HYG, although I never had monies in this holding.

I wanted to take a look back as I recall watching the yield numbers in the junk bond areas and shaking my head. Just a few numbers from the time frame of December, 2008; through December of 2010.

---December, 2008 found the yields running around the 20% area, including this number until mid March of 2009. There were a few fits and starts in this period, but a good general number. By December of 2010 the yields were wandering around the 8% range.
    I didn't take a close look at pricing, but generally; this is the result of this two year time frame:
    ---yields decreased by about 60% in these two years
    ---pricing increased by about 60% in these two years

Just a few quick numbers.

I remain mostly of the consideration not so much about any bonds being an income stream, but being about appreciation in value to my monies, no matter how that appreciation arrives.
    'Course, today's wacky and perverted world of central banks and all the rest make for some most interesting investing in bonds of whatever flavor, eh?

Take care,
    Catch

• edited December 2015
    It will be interesting to see how the headlines read tomorrow: reasonably prudent, or hysterical and perilous? Friday's surprise came too late for not so many people to react. More have had a weekend to mull it over now, and it's possible a reassessment has been done, and there may be more activity at the exits.

Josh Brown forwards to his blog readers a notice he just received from Blackrock re. HYG. No reason to worry, performance as expected, no problems. Everything's cool. Uh-huh.
    http://thereformedbroker.com/2015/12/13/blackrock-our-high-yield-fund-is-doing-what-it-says-it-does/