Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

An exception to the EM Carnage/Bloodbath/Whatever

edited December 2015 in Fund Discussions
No matter the asset class, no matter the environment, there always seems to be one or more outliers. While most others have taken a big haircut in EM stocks, Mr. Anindya Chatterjee of City National Rochdale went for the expensive styling, and so far he's cutting a good figure.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-29/how-one-investor-avoided-the-carnage-in-emerging-market-stocks
Since Chatterjee started the City National Rochdale Emerging Markets Fund on Dec. 14, 2011, he returned 53 percent for investors, even as emerging market stocks declined 0.5 percent. This year, with the MSCI Emerging Markets Index slumping 14 percent, Chatterjee’s $827 million fund is down 3.1 percent, beating 90 percent of peers for the fourth straight year. It’s far and away the best four-year performance among 67 U.S.-based emerging-market stock funds with at least $500 million in assets.

Heavily "thematic" and he's stickin' to it. Darn tootin'! Simply fortuitous, pinball wizard, or........?
Has anyone been monitoring this one?

http://www.citynationalrochdalefunds.com/Content/pdfs/quarterly/Emerging_Markets-3Q15.pdf

Comments

• WESNX has also been killing it in the EM space, although it's closed.
  • edited December 2015
    @gmarceau Ah, yes, the small cap growth fund, that is 43% large cap, has also done rather well lately. Both funds, notably, are quite Asia-centric and include companies with a home base in developed nations.
  • Someone please tell me which fund in the whole fund universe will kill it in 2016.:)
  • edited December 2015
    Scott brought up RIMIX many moons back, and I've followed it but not invested. Right, it's been pretty much an Asia fund, which puts it a leg up versus funds with stakes in Latin America (esp'ly Brazil). I'd compare it more to Matthews and other Asia funds rather than broad EM ... and basically, it's fine on that metric, with volatility roughly the same as the more volatile Matthews funds, say vs. MAPTX.

One advantage point to RIMIX: no Matthews-like 90-day early redemption fee. It's TF at the brokerages I'm familiar with, but I don't think of that as a big deal, balanced against no redemption fee.
  • edited December 2015
    M*'s category list for foreign small/mid cap, not necessarily EM pure. Click the YTD column to sort returns through Dec. 29. More than a few active managers have done nicely for 2015 in this area. Always some of the right place/right time, eh?
  • I've got very little in it anymore, but why is PRASX ALWAYS a laggard? Going back 10 years, it looks better than not bad. But if you invested in this fund 5 or 3 years ago, it sucks.