Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Auto save drafts - request for turning off

edited April 2011 in Technical Questions
I really would like to turn off the auto draft save options if possible. I find them annoying as they often linger after I completed my post and sometimes do not update the draft copy as someone continues typing.

I have to manually delete a bunch of drafts left behind every day. I am sure others are experiencing the same (they might not be aware of it)

If the complete site wide turning off is not desirable, I would prefer to turn them off from my preferences/settings.

Comments

• I've poked around in the discussion board settings and, so far, I can't find anything that might fix this. I'll search the help section at Vanilla Forum to see if they've come up with anything. I've also not experienced this problem myself, but I've done limited posting. I'll update here if I find anything.

Be well,
    chip
  • Thanks chip. Making more observations I found that sometimes the draft is left behind and in other cases it is deleted after posting is done. I will try to get something more definitive. I might be doing something that is confusing the software.
  • edited April 2011
    Chip, while we have your attention, is there an easy way to delete the "old" photos that linger behind on members main page after a new one is uploaded? Deleting all and than uploading the new one would probably work but reluctant to mess with "well enough". I'd guess most would appreciate if you could fine tune so only the most recent upload is displayed. Any ideas how many photos somebodys "album" would hold before the server limit is reached?
  • edited April 2011
    Gets curiouser and curiouser. I thought you fixed it when I looked while logged in. The two old ones were gone. Than looked again when not logged in and they were back again. Maybe ya could scrub them old ones completely and advise how to avoid problem in future?
  • Any other information you can gather would probably be helpful. If you can figure out what sequence of events leads to the "orphan draft" it would be especially good.
  • Hi hank,
    I tried to get rid of old pics, but I accidentally took your new one out. I'm very sorry. Could you upload again and we'll see if it fixed your problem?
    Thanks, and apologies.
    chip
  • Well not so fast now. Unfortunately, had to amend my congratulatory response while you were replying. (See above). Thanks and have a great holiday weekend. hank
  • edited November 2011
  • edited April 2011
    Chip, Not a problem! Finally learning some tech things here. Just a bit slow with dialup at home. Faster learning curve when using public wifi. Hey, I love the picture feature and plan to rotate them occasionally. Thanks and take care.
  • edited April 2011
    You many not want another plug-in but if you do.
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/stopautodraft-plugin

and my experience with auto-drafts
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/988#Comment_988

Also, in a slight hi-jacking of this thread.

I would like to suggest you add these plug-ins
    There is an option in the dashboard with the plugins (I think it is automatically included in main download)

enable Plugin for: "In This discussion"
    which list participants in a particular discussion in a side panel - looks pretty slick to me.

e.g. this link shows an example on the right side.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/1067

also this plugi-in would be handy
    The plug-in to mark all discussions as read http://vanillaforums.org/addon/allviewed-plugin
  • It is possible this is what is happening?
  • disagree, Accipiter. Typed a brief comment to Investor under another heading, and found the icomplete draft lingering after the posting. Quite annoying.
  • "disagree, Accipiter. Had a brief comment to Investor under another heading, and found the icomplete draft lingering. " this was saved during a 20 second typing of the above. Really annoying.
  • I've been keeping my eye on a few plug-ins, particularly "In this discussion," but I want to give Brad a chance to finish the major work on the site. For now, I'm mostly helping (or not) a little here, and converting some of the archives.
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2011
  • edited April 2011
    Ignore.
  • edited April 2011
    I've intermittently had this problem too... will pay attention to sequence of operations in future to see if pattern emerges. OK, this post just autosaved, without my leaving the textbox. let's see what happens... (am now posting this).
  • edited April 2011
    OK, it did save the incomplete "orphan" draft, but I was able to go to my "drafts" page and delete it there... received "you now have no drafts" message.
  • Aim to please.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2011
  • My discussionn list no longer has the bursting star to indicate whether the thread has new (unread) comments. It is too time-consuming to go through the list and have to bring each thread up only to find I've read them all.
    What can I do to bring back the bursting star indicator? Or have you abandoned that indicator.