Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Was yesterday it?

edited February 2016 in Fund Discussions
10 Year Treasuries hit 1.55% intraday now trading over 1.70%. 30 year bond futures hit all time historic lows. Oil up over 10% off its lows of yesterday, Dow up over 300 points from yesterday's lows. The gold bugs out in force. I will be real interested in how the remainder of this day unfolds.

Comments

• For us equity holders, let's hope!
  • Dead Cat Bounce?
  • edited February 2016
    rabockma said:

Dead Cat Bounce?

Depends which cat you mean.

- Oil's been dragging bottom for over a year. Suspect we're plumming the bottom somewhere in the $25+ area.

- I'm not convinced re stocks. And the move today doesn't look that convincing to me. Could rally for a few days than fall back.

- Gold's unpredictable. Might as well go to Vegas and throw your money on the craps tables. I'll agree, however, with those who believe financial chaos and a weaker dollar tend to bolster its attractiveness. Having a bit of exposure has helped me in recent months.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. My forecasts over the years have a 50-50 success/failure ratio. I am not a market timer and do not normally attempt to time markets nor have I ever been affiliated with any market timers or market timing strategies.
  • For what it's worth, Bob Brinker sent out a stock market Buy Alert ("market attractive for purchase") two days ago on Wednesday evening to his Market Timer newsletter subscribers. I don't subscribe, but I know somebody who does. Brinker rarely gives a buy or a sell signal, sometimes going years between signals.

I remember his signal to buy the Nasdaq 100 in 2000 during a pause in the tech stock debacle. The markets resumed plunging and those who bought on his signal and held on had to wait 15 years to break even.

• franktrdr said:

For what it's worth, Bob Brinker sent out a stock market Buy Alert ("market attractive for purchase") two days ago on Wednesday evening to his Market Timer newsletter subscribers. I don't subscribe, but I know somebody who does. Brinker rarely gives a buy or a sell signal, sometimes going years between signals.

I remember his signal to buy the Nasdaq 100 in 2000 during a pause in the tech stock debacle. The markets resumed plunging and those who bought on his signal and held on had to wait 15 years to break even.

When did he send out a sell alert?

• edited February 2016
    franktrdr said:

For what it's worth, Bob Brinker sent out a stock market Buy Alert ("market attractive for purchase") two days ago on Wednesday evening to his Market Timer newsletter subscribers. I don't subscribe, but I know somebody who does. Brinker rarely gives a buy or a sell signal, sometimes going years between signals.

He was bullish in 2008 and kept expecting all time highs by the end of the year. He knows about as much as you, me, and the man in the moon. While it helps to be articulate and knowledgeable in many fields of complex endeavors, the stock market is not one of them. Maybe because the stock market is not as complex as it is made out to be.
  • Maybe because the stock market is not as complex as it is made out to be.
    Love it.
  • @franktrdr & MFO Members Speaking of Bob Brinker !
    Regards,
    Ted
    Bob Brinker has often objected to discussion boards where people can debate his record. Here is the post from the moderator at FundAlarm saying why he was deleting all discussions about Brinker.

"Bob Brinker has expressed concern about the summaries of his advice (and newsletter) that have appeared on FundAlarm, as well as links from the Board to various other sites that report his advice basically, some or all of these posts may violate the copyright on his material.
    In accordance with Bob's request, I have agreed not to allow summaries of his advice to appear on this Board, and I've also agreed to prevent links to other sites that may make unauthorized use of his material.
    Therefore, I will shortly delete this thread and, to be safe, I'm asking that that all Bob Brinker-related posts be avoided in the future.

Thanks to everyone for your cooperation on this.

Roy"
  • edited February 2016
    So I would not have been allowed to post this link regarding his 2008 advice?

https://www.cxoadvisory.com/2745/individual-gurus/bob-brinker/

And some more favorable reviews below. Apparently 2008 was one of his few missed calls.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94945

An even more interesting link.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-brinker-brawl-round-2
  • Hah! Love it
  • My father subscribed to Bob Brinker for awhile in 2000's. Brinker held onto a position in MSFT and a bond fund ( I think) for quite a long while . He also had an "out of character" trade, sending out a special bulletin recommendation for QQQQ in 2000 ( which lost 50+% ) and , I believe, never was "sold" and was never recorded on the trades list.
    I think one can just use a simple 10 mo moving average cross strategy applied to the S&P 500 and long bonds, do better than 99% of these people, and save a lot of time by not having to read their rhetoric ...
  • jstr said:

I think one can just use a simple 10 mo moving average cross strategy applied to the S&P 500 and long bonds, do better than 99% of these people, and save a lot of time by not having to read their rhetoric ...

+1.

• a long long time ago i used to listen to brinker and at one point, on his reco, bought treasuries at 12%. man, do i wish i'd loaded up on 30 year notes at that time!