Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

You Don't Have to be Brilliant to do Well in the Stock Market, Just Don't be Stupid

edited March 2012 in Fund Discussions
Hello, I really enjoyed the below read as it writes about investing and expresses many of my thoughts. I hope you enjoy the read as much as I did.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/456981-you-don-t-have-to-be-brilliant-to-do-well-in-the-stock-market-just-don-t-be-stupid?source=feed

Good Investing,
Skeeter

Comments

• Yep, just don't shoot yourself in the foot. I make very few changes, very rarely, and seldom. Is that sentence from the Department of Redundancy Department? Laugh.
  • I liked it so much I passed it onto my kids (who are in their 30's).

One of the respondents was Diego Stendardo, who linked to one of his own articles. In that article he said he put his newborn son into 3 global ETF's that cover 90% of the investable market with instructions to his broker to invest every month:

40% broad developed markets ETF
    30% broad emerging markets ETF
    30% global real estate ETF

Question for the Board: which ETF's do you think he might have picked? I couldn't find it, but maybe I went roaring through the article and responses too fast...

best, hawk
  • These are ETFs from Vanguard:

developed market - MSCI EAFE index ETF, VEA
    emerging market - MSCI emerging market ETF, VWO
    global real estate - Global ex-US real estate, VNQI & US real estate, VNQ

iShares, State Street and others have equivalent ETFs as well.
  • edited March 2012
    Hi Max, Re: "SSIF Syndrome" - One remedy is construct a plan so complex (baskets within baskets) it becomes hard to do much damage with a single dumb move. Spreading it around in 15-25 funds may also help.
  • So that's how we did it! I knew that it wasn't due to any great smarts on my part!
  • edited March 2012
    Well, a good case can be made for giving $$ to a good manager & spending more time at the beach or opera. However, I see folk talking to their broker from beach nowadays, so this may no longer hold water.
  • Didn't really need a broker... lots of times I made us broker all by myself.
  • Reply to @hank:
    Hey, Hank. OK, sure. But my alternative to holding 15-25 funds is to keep things simple, don't try to shoot the moon, don't chase profits. With 7 or 8 funds. To hold 15-25 funds, holy jeepers. That would feel overwhelming to me. But I see what you mean.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Giggle!:)
  • Reply to @Sven:
    Thanks, Sven. These look good; also very handy now that we have monies at Vanguard (for the kids). I'm trying to construct a pretty-much-hands-off basket of taxable stuff they can set and forget. Think I'll put these 3 in (using VNQI), and then add the mid-cap blend index as well. I think it fills in some gaps for them, stuff they don't duplicate in their Roths.
    best, hawk
  • Kind of late for that now! Where was this guy prior to the dot-bomb craze?