Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Chuck Jaffe's Money Life Show: Guest Bernie Horn, Manager, Polairs Global Value Fund

Comments

• For what interest it holds, Mr. Horn came across as one of the most deeply thoughtful guys we've interviewed. The audio of our 2015 conference call with him is on our Featured Fund page for Polaris.

David
  • One thing I've always found attractive about PGVFX is the stake in Scandinavia. Not that many fund managers go there, and there are some well-run companies in that part of Europe.
  • Mark Yockey of Artisan International used to invest in Nokia and Ericson until they fell behind Apple and Google's operation systems and smartphones.
  • TedTed
    edited March 2016
    @Andy: Back in the 1990's I held Fidelity Nordic Fund (FNORX) that's largest stake was Nokia, I made money.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • 1090, huh? Not long after Eric the Red. :-)
  • TedTed
    edited March 2016
    @msf: Not having a very good day, just learned that my best friend for over seventy years and best man at my wedding died on Sunday. I feel like 1090 !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @ted, so sorry for your loss. Friends are so important, they become family.
  • @ted - not more I can add. Friends are indeed precious.
  • Sorry to hear it, Ted. Just imagining what I'd feel like if my best pal of many years & best man had passed ...
  • The thing about PGVFX and Scandinavia is that they dig pretty deep there, not just among the few names that most people are familiar with.
  • @ted - I share your feelings... not all that many left...
  • @ted warm thoughts your way. Losing friends is terrible.