Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Diversifiying within healthcare

I have been overweight in healthcare for over three years, rewarded handsomely until a year ago. Decided to add a medical device component, which has been doing pretty well. Already had biotech FBTIX, health care fund PHSZX and Large Pharma etf PFP. Looked at Fidelity's Select FSMEX, but 25% of the holdings were in one stock Medtronic. Decided to buy IHI, which had considerably less exposure to MDT ( I kept thinking about Sequoia's concentration).

Anyone else finding this area attractive? Not betting the farm, but willing to put my toe in with a modest allocation.

Comments

• I own GILD and PFE, along with HQL and THQ two CEF's. I reinvest the dividends but have not added to any of the positions otherwise. I also hold a good chunk of POAGX which has a 25% allocation to healthcare so I'm not compelled to jump in further just yet.
  • TedTed
    edited May 2016
    @slick: PRHSX PRHSX PRHSX PRHSX, if and when it reopens to new investors, get my drift ! The Fund is ranked #1 By U.S. News & World Report. I've owned this fund for over ten years.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/health/t.-rowe-price-health-sciences-fund/prhsx

M*: PRHSX Performance:
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=PRHSX&region=usa&culture=en_US
  • @Ted: I had originally purchased PRHSX back in early 2013, but when they had a change in managers, I decided to sell it. Probably should have kept it, as it is now closed, but took PHSZX instead, which has done well, but its a bit more volatile. As I have stated before, I also have FBTIX (advisor equivalent of FBIOX) and PJP for pure large pharma. Adding IHI was a momentum play, and we will see how it turns out. I am still overweight healthcare, as all of my equities are in iras, with 5+ years until i have to start rmd. This is balanced by largest positions in VIG, VDIGX, PKW and SMGIX all diversified funds.
  • @Ted- what's the point of recommending a fund that's closed?
  • TedTed
    edited May 2016
    2Old-Joe: You make a very valid point !
    Regards,
    Ted