Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investment Outlook from American Century

I got this from my advisor over at AC. I figured I would share it with you all as there are some good tidbits of advice and strategy in it. Enjoy.

John

https://www.americancentury.com/content/dam/americancentury/ipro/pdfs/viewpoint/investment-outlook-q3-retail.pdf

Comments

• Hi John,

Great to see you posting again!

Being you seem to be familiar with American Century funds, what are your thoughts of purchasing TWEIX at this time?

Mona
  • Hi Mona,

TWEIX is a great fund with a long history of excellent performance. Five star rated at M-star. If this is a sideways move I would purchase outright, otherwise a DCA might be prudent in case the market trips up here in the near future.

Good to hear from you.
  • Thanks for the briefing, quite interesting. I agree w/many of their assessments, too.
  • Hi @JohnChisum,

Thanks for posting American Century's outlook. I indeed ejoyed the read.

Old_Skeet

• Good to hear from you as well Old_Skeet.

Another fund that I have mentioned before on here also fits in with what the outlook is saying. Their mid-cap value fund, ACMVX, is another excellent choice.

As I have been focusing more on income versus growth, I own their income funds which have done well. AMJVX is one I own. Since we cannot rely on money market anymore, I use the income fund as a pre-cash position.

These are very interesting times for fund investors.
  • Thanks for posting - very good analysis.

I got this from my advisor over at AC. I figured I would share it with you all as there are some good tidbits of advice and strategy in it. Enjoy.

John

https://www.americancentury.com/content/dam/americancentury/ipro/pdfs/viewpoint/investment-outlook-q3-retail.pdf

• Good to hear from you as well Old_Skeet.

Another fund that I have mentioned before on here also fits in with what the outlook is saying. Their mid-cap value fund, ACMVX, is another excellent choice.

As I have been focusing more on income versus growth, I own their income funds which have done well. AMJVX is one I own. Since we cannot rely on money market anymore, I use the income fund as a pre-cash position.

These are very interesting times for fund investors.

It appears that ACMVX is closed to new investors. Impressive record so I certainly understand why. I'm not sure if they have any future plans to re-open at some point.
  • ACMVX is open to new investors. From the summary prospectus:

"As of November 1, 2013, the fund is generally closed to new investors other than those who (i) invest directly with American Century (where American Century is listed as the dealer of record); (ii) invest through certain financial intermediaries selected by American Century; or (iii) otherwise qualify for an exemption under American Century’s closed fund policy."

If you don't already have an account with AC, you can open one here.
  • I had missed that. Sorry. I guess the fund didn't want to stray from its primary purpose as many do when they get too big. I wonder if another fund has or will open up to fill that void? Although, there are many other places one can go to find similar funds.
  • edited August 2016
    Hi @JohnChisum,

Thanks for the heads up on AMJVX (broker sold ticker AMJAX). Although, it is a relative new fund I like it's sector allocation with it's top three sectors being real estate (43%), energy (15%) and financials (12%). With this, I think it is well position and I am thinking that it can adjust it positioning form time-to-time as to how its managers are reading the markets. In addition, I like its overall asset allocation and style mix.

I have started building another portfolio which is being funded from distributions from mine and my wife's self directed IRA accounts. We are not wanting the balances in these IRA accounts to keep growing. With this, we have started taking all mutual funds distributions (interest, dividends and capital gains) in the form of IRA distributions. While these IRA distributions are taxable as income we are putting these monies to work in some hybrid mutual fund selections held in a joint account that in return will generate a good deal of income while providing for some capital appreciation. I am currently, two years into the development of this joint account and it is already putting a little jingle in our pockets.

I am in the process of expanding three of my twelve sleeves found in my portfolio sleeve management system from six funds to nine funds each with the addition of this account since it will be comprised of mostly hybrid funds found in the hybird income sleeve, domestic hybrid growth & income sleeve and global hybird growth & income sleeve. AMJVX will become an addition to one of these sleeves. I might, in time, add a couple of equity funds such as TWEIX, FDSAX and SVAAX to the joint account's fund mix but most likely I will not be expanding the number of funds within the sleeve that holds these three funds which now has a total of six funds.

Thanks again for the heads up on AMJVX.

It is indeed appreciated.

Cordially,
    Old_Skeet
  • Old_Skeet,

Thanks for the kind words.

I bought this fund at inception. So far I really like the way this fund works. Volatility is low and it fills a void for investors like myself who want a income stream. I also like the fact that it is a go-anywhere type of fund. Wherever or whatever provides decent income.
  • Nice report; thanks JC. Several actionable elements there for folks who make portfolio adjustments from time to time ...
  • msf said:

ACMVX is open to new investors. From the summary prospectus:

"As of November 1, 2013, the fund is generally closed to new investors other than those who (i) invest directly with American Century (where American Century is listed as the dealer of record); (ii) invest through certain financial intermediaries selected by American Century; or (iii) otherwise qualify for an exemption under American Century’s closed fund policy."

If you don't already have an account with AC, you can open one here.

Good to know for some investors. I purchase through Fidelity and Vanguard only, so it's not available with them at the moment.
  • If you open an account with AC and move it to Fidelity or Vanguard, you should be able to trade that account. Always worth checking beforehand, though. Some fund families have gotten wise to this and put a restriction on transferring new accounts (I've seen a 6 month "hold").