Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PTSGX -- a great return over 10 years but not much said about it

edited May 2012 in Fund Discussions
While reading the IBD this weekend I came across a fund PTSGX Touchstone Sands select Growth Z
I don't believe it has been mentioned on this site. It is a large growth with 1 ,3,5, and 10 year above average return.
Touchstone is noted for its appeal to adviser accounts but PTSGX is a retail no load fund. It does have an above average ER of 1.42%.
Appreciate any comments on this fund and other Touchstone funds.

prinx

Comments

• You are quite right... the 5 year 9.31% return is incredible, as it includes the 2007/08 disaster.
  • Can someone in-the-know give us more details on this fund? Yahoo lists an inception date of Aug 11, 2000 for this fund, but gives no dividends or capital gains, which is suspicious. Touchstone's site lists A,C,Y, and Inst shares, but not Z. I wonder if this was an Old Mutual fund that they acquired/merged?
  • A couple more things I've noticed about this fund, while we're waiting for someone to supply more details:
    1. The number one holding is Apple
    2. While this fund has done great the last 3 years, outperforming the s&p500 by almost 10% annualized, the previous 3 years were not so hot (underperforming the s&p500 by about -8.7%; that's 2006-2008).
  • A SEC link for this fund; although I have not read through the document.
    The blue box area at the top of the page indicates this fund's prior life cycles back to 2004.
    http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=&match=&CIK=PTSGX&filenum=&State=&Country=&SIC=&owner=exclude&Find=Find+Companies&action=getcompany
  • They do seem to change their name a lot, fwiw...
  • From the above I'd guess that's exactly what we've been doing.
  • Appears we all should have a piece of this, eh?

Thanks for your sniffing around prinx; perhaps you have found a jewel to hold during equity forward moves, and in particular the growth sector.
    The holdings listed are well selected, in my opinion.
  • seems very 'white oakish' to me -- concentrated; buy and hold; lots of growthy names @ large percentages. got very lucky recently with the apple & google run off. nope. thanks. oh.. and add the outlandish ER for holding and hardly trading a few most liquid names to your consideration matrix.
  • edited May 2012
    Hi fundalarm,

I had some time to compare and sniff against a decent growth fund, FDGRX.

Be back......compare screen didn't link and I'm away from this pc for a bit.....
  • edited May 2012
    I see her point... the PTSGX seems much more heavily weighted in their top ten holdings than does FDGRX, althought they both share about the same % of AAPL.
  • Fundalarm ,
    Conventional wisdom says that a relatively high ER makes it hard to ultimately get a good return. But the return of a fund is net of the interest rate. As long as the fund is doing much better than its peers with their low ER one keep close watch and sell if it is no longer performing well.

Would like to hear from others about their feelings on this important matter. Vanguard has miniscule ER on their funds but has not been able to match the return of PTSGX.

prinx