Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The US Army to the Rescue

Hi Guys,

As I mentioned earlier, I have dusted off my copy of Rudy Giuliani's book titled "Leadership" and am presently rereading it to better recall 9/11. The book helps in that regard, but it is dominated by his definition of good leadership principles. He lists 14 such principles and devotes a chapter to each of them. Many of those principles are easily transferable to investment decision making. For example, prepare relentlessly, and reflect,then decide. Also, surround yourself with great people; that's easily accomplished on MFO, but some care must be exercised.

Giuliani's book is not why I'm posting now. It did get me thinking about how leadership qualities translate into productive investment decision making. So here is a reference that many will think is from way out in left field. But there are lessons to be learned from this publication. It is the US Army Field Manuel on leadership. Here is the Link:

http://www.milsci.ucsb.edu/sites/secure.lsit.ucsb.edu.mili.d7/files/sitefiles/fm6_22.pdf

It is free. Several decades ago I purchased a dozen copies and gifted them to family members. I was profusely thanked. Of course much in the volume is military focused but the insights and lessons are there. I especially liked the many quotes from our military heroes. Enjoy!

Best Regards

Comments

• Hi Guys,

After posting I thought you might be interested in Rudy Giuliani's leadership rules. Here is his list of 14, which are all chapter headings in his book. The numbers are the chapters in "Leadership":

2. First Things First
    3. Prepare Relentlessly
    4. Everyone's Accountable, All of the Time
    5. Surround Yourself with Great People
    6. Reflect, Then Decide
    7. Underpromise and Overdeliver
    8. Develop and Communicate Strong Beliefs
    9. Be Your Own Man
    10. Loyalty: The Vital Virtue
    11. Weddings Discretionary, Funerals Mandatory
    12. Stand Up to Bullies
    13. Study. Read. Learn Independently
    14. Organize Around a Purpose
    15. Bribe Only Those Who Will Stay Bribed

The book is an excellent read. I recommend it.

Best Wishes.

• If I were you, I'd burn that book to get something useful out of it. Having lived in New York before, during and after 9-11, I can tell you firsthand that Rudy Giuliani's "leadership skills" lead inevitably to a police state.
  • Hi LewisBraham,

Wow! Thank you for your contrary assessment of Giuliani's tenure as NYC mayor. It directly conflicts with his book claims. I think I understand some of the reasoning behind your police state charge.

Giuliani targeted crime as a major problem prior to his election and committed resources to address it. In Appendix A of his book, he proudly reviews the very positive statistics that his Compstat tool delivered. Much success is claimed. Apparently that Compstat program was recognized as a useful tool since it has been adopted by other major cities like Los Angeles.

A long time ago (over 5 decades), I was a graduate student at Columbia University. One evening, I visited friends in Brooklyn and returned by subway after midnight. I was not aware that the subway route bifurcated on 96th street, and instead of delivering me to Columba, I got off the train in Harlem. Not so good. I was definitely lost. In a moment, a black officer recognized my confusion, and offered to walk me through a threatening Morningside Heights back to the University. I owe him.

Thanks again for your perspective. I'm sure much has changed since my last visit to the City many, many years ago.

Best Wishes.
  • haha, too true for that putz, and not only that, but he is now a nonstop buffoon shill and total apologist for trumpsterman
  • Hi Davidrmoran,

A double wow from me. You quickly turned my rather neutral post into a fierce political opinion. That was not my intent. But having moved in that direction, here is a Link to a simple quiz that is designed to identify your political position:

https://www.theadvocates.org/quiz/quiz.php#

It's a fun test. I have little doubt where you will place in the map that is given in the scoring summary. I was not surprised that I was rated as a Libertarian.

Best Wishes.
  • edited September 2016
    @MJG And the Germans got the trains to run on time, too. That's what happens in police states. Moreover, Giuliani did not succeed in reducing crime as much as he claims:
    politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2007/sep/01/how-much-credit-giuliani-due-fighting-crime/
    And any success he did have was largely done by criminalizing poverty. huffingtonpost.com/maria-foscarinis/criminalization-of-poverty_b_5754294.html He took real social problems and rather than address them, merely swept them under the rug, putting anyone who was homeless in jail and creating New York's "stop and frisk" policy, widely acknowledged as one of the most racist policing policies in the country. One can see how controversial stop and frisk is and Giuliani's legacy here:
    theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/stop-and-frisk-may-be-working-but-is-it-racist/267417/
    Even if it "works," at what cost to people's liberty? Or perhaps it doesn't matter so long as those people being harassed and unreasonably searched aren't you?
  • @MJG,

Your wide-eyed responses (moi?) indicate that you need to know so much more than you do, it seems.

http://kevinbaker.info/americas-mayor/

Just a start.

That simpleminded political 'quiz' is by far the most simpleminded, indeed feebleminded, thing I have seen in some time. I am even surprised at your own rating, also that you took it.
  • Funny how the left trashs anything from the right. Name calling, denigrating, it brings out the real person.

Thanks MJG for this thread. I will check this book out.

I favor paychecks over welfare checks.
  • I am reminded of this famous scene from a classic movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVuNkE-LMw
  • @JohnChisum It's funny how you reference Peter Lorre as he too had to escape a police state where his people were prejudged and rounded up without cause merely because of their ethnicity. His real name was Lazlo Lowenstein: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lorre
  • Hi Davidrmoran,

This advice from Kenneth Branagh: "Lihhten up, just enjoy life, smile more, laugh more, and don't get so worked up about things".

My post was meant to be fun. I said so when I sumitted it.

I agree that I need to know much more than I do know. And studies show that much of what we think we know is wrong. I am very aware of my shortcomings. Each morning when I awake next to my wife I am reminded that I'm the second smartest person in that bedroom. I have no illusions about my knowledge shortfalls. But I constantly work to address that shortfall.

Remember that my post was not a serious test. The very brevity of it signaled that it was a fun exercise.

Best Wishes.

• helpless and automatic:

http://rs952.pbsrc.com/albums/ae7/deluxx_photos/judynonono.gif~c200

As for left-right fakespeak, I'm w/ LB.
  • edited September 2016
    Great a leader as Guilaini is, he's an even greater admirer of Vladimir Putin's style. http://www.salon.com/2014/03/04/rudy_giuliani_unlike_obama_putin_is_“what_you_call_a_leader”/
    So, MJG, why not simply recommend a book on "Leadership" about Putin himself for us to savor?
    The Leadership Principles of Vladimir Putin
    https://www.amazon.com/Leadership-Principles-Vladimir-Leader-Presindent/dp/1492800759

• @MJG. In your first post you say: " I have dusted off my copy of Rudy Giuliani's book titled "Leadership" and am presently rereading it to better recall 9/11." Then you tell Davidmoran to lighten up, that "My post was meant to be fun." Wow, Rudy Giuliani and 9/11! Those two topics sound about as fun as a heart attack.
  • I have the popcorn MJG.
  • MJG
    edited September 2016
    Hi Hank,

I suppose I should thank you for the Putin reference, but I have no interest in his leadership positions. Besides, the book you referenced was not written by Putin, so it is a second hand assessment at best. Additionally, the two men operate in such disparate political, social, and economic environments that I doubt their leadership insights are transferable.

Why the antagonism? Most of the replies have focused on Giulianni and not on the primary reason for my post. I wanted to introduce the US Army thinking on leadership to the MFO cohort. I'm disappointed with the Giulianni focus since it is swamping my original purpose. Giulianni was an unfortunate afterthought that apparently ignited some deep emotions from a political perspective that approach hate for the man. I plead innocence here.

EDIT: As I stated earlier, the only reason I referenced Giulianni was the 9/11 anniversary. He was the NYC mayor at that time, so I thought his reactions would be of some interest to MFO members.

Best Wishes
  • edited September 2016
    @MJG - I corrected "by Putin" to read "about Putin" per your observation.

No antagonism. Must everything be personal? You opened a can of worms with mention of a major player in the current political scene - one whom you appear to have some affection for.

I'd rather the board stay away from politics and stick to investing. But Hell, everybody's got a right to voice their opinions on whatever subject comes up. You perhaps correctly perceive that I have an aversion to strong-man authoritarian styles of leadership. Look no farther than to what's currently happening in the Philippines.

Best Wishes.
  • These points come across as politically neutral to me. It is only because Giuliani wrote the book that is getting the cackles raised for some here. Suppose a liberal progressive wrote this? Would this argument still be happening?

Which of these points do any of you disagree with?

2. First Things First
    3. Prepare Relentlessly
    4. Everyone's Accountable, All of the Time
    5. Surround Yourself with Great People
    6. Reflect, Then Decide
    7. Underpromise and Overdeliver
    8. Develop and Communicate Strong Beliefs
    9. Be Your Own Man
    10. Loyalty: The Vital Virtue
    11. Weddings Discretionary, Funerals Mandatory
    12. Stand Up to Bullies
    13. Study. Read. Learn Independently
    14. Organize Around a Purpose
    15. Bribe Only Those Who Will Stay Bribed

• MJG
    edited September 2016
    Hi Guys,

I never intended to cause a political firestorm.

On 9/11 there were no democrats, no republicans, no independents, and even no communists. On that day we were all Americans. I read "Leadership" to get a perspective from the man who had a primary response duty. His leadership principles seem non-political and practical. I interpreted them that way.

Many of you guys are misinterpreting my motivations, placing too much incorrect meaning to specific words I used, and making inferences that really don't exist. I'm a rather non-political person. On my first presidential vote, I chose Eisenhower(R) and on my second I chose Kennedy (D). I choose men, not parties.

I agree completely with Hank. Our focus on this forum should be investing. Sorry that I prompted this distraction. These types of discussions never resolve anything.

I'm ending my participation now!

Best Wishes.
  • @JC,
    Of course in the abstract all of those sound mostly okay, but Rudy has shown his true colors to everyone, has he not?
    (And the Don could subscribe to all of them too. Except for 7 and 13.)
  • edited September 2016
    JC - Those principals are fine for the most part. Idealism always sounds fine in the abstract. (America First, Motherland, Patriotism, Sacrifice, Loyalty & Greatness). It's the execution. Always the execution.

(Deleted)

No, I'm not going to recommend any books by Bill Clinton or Elizabeth Warren on leadership.
    However, I'd be surprised if they didn't devolve into a similar politically tinged discussion.

• edited September 2016
    I'm staying out of this one... you guys are doing just fine all on your own.

I'll bet that over the years MJG has started more of these than any other single poster. The funny thing is that it's usually inadvertent: he is so narrowly focused and insensitive to the possibilities of alternate interpretations that he is frequently "surprised" by how others react to his assertions.

• The Army rules of leadership, which were ingrained in me as a teenager/young adult, are still very much a part of who I am today. Solid guidance to live and lead by!
  • MJG
    edited September 2016
    Hi Guys,

I originally posted to introduce Army leadership doctrines. Early in my post I said " Giuliani's book is not why I'm posting now. It did get me thinking about how leadership qualities translate into productive investment decision making." I followed that with a reference to the Army Field Manuel that presents their thinking on the matter.

The Army Manuel was the primary thrust of my submittal. I was motivated to review the Army leadership principles by my rereading of Giuliani's leadership book which was itself motivated by the 9/11 rememberance. That's a little convoluted but very linear.

I was definity surprised by the antagonism directed at Giuiani's principles. I was definity not commenting on Giuliani's performance; I was reporting on his leadership rules. As has been said in these discussions, there is sometimes a huge disparity between what is proposed and what is executed. There is a difference between talking and walking the talk.

Personal attacks should not be tolerated on this website. I never participate in such attacks. Unfortunately, a few guys do and have done so for a long time. One was prompted to do so because of a belief that my opening salutation of " Hi Guys" is sexist. Some of us are too easily offended and lose the primary thrust of a posting. Too, too bad.

Conflicting opinions are what make a marketplace, but I encourage and welcome them only if they resist being of the personal nature.

Rforno, thank you for refocusing the discussion.

Best Wishes.
  • It's been almost 15 years since Rudy's book came out. I've not read it, but it received wide acclaim.

Unfortunately, it appears that he's not the same man as he once was.
  • @PRESSmUP- Yeah, I've noticed that about myself also. Not good.
  • He seems to be declining since 9/11. Last time he ran as a presential candidate in the primary, he lost lots of that energy he had as a mayor of NYC. This year at the convention he is clearly not the same person.