Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Baseball over Mutual Funds Today

MJG
edited September 2016 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

Without a doubt, I know the purpose of this website. But please allow me an exception for baseball thoughts today.

I am a baseball fan forever. In particular, I have rooted for the Dodgers that entire time. Back in 1950, Vin Scully joined the Dodger prodcasting staff that was headed by Red Barber and included Connie Desmond and briefly Earnie Harwell. Scully has been the singular surviving member of that elite staff for a long time now.

After 67 years, Scully is retiring with great admiration. It is well earned. This entire weekend, the Dodger organization and the Dodger fans have honored him. Good for him, good for the organization, good for the fans, and good for me.

Given the unpredictability of the investment world, it is hard to identify financial wizards who would be retired with such admiration and so many honors. It seems like most of the candidates suffer market indignations during their careers and any personal luster is cruelly removed. One example, surely not alone, is PIMCO's Bill Gross. There are many others who perform brilliantly for a time and then the market shatters their records.

There are no investment Gods, but there is a baseball play-by-play God. Thank you Vin.

And thank you Guys for being patient with a long time baseball fan.

Best Regards.

Comments