Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

No, You Don't Actually Need To Hire A Financial Advisor

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Hi OJ,

From the article, "The advent of online advice"; kinda reminds one of this site, an investment home away from home and the many gracious and enlightening discussions.

As to an advisor; I'm thinking about retiring this chore. What's a fella to do?

'Course on the other side of this coin is that I continue to calculate (for enterainment purposes only) how many hours per year is spent regarding investments and using this number to divide into a given year of dollar returns; to find this house is paying ourselves a most decent hourly rate of pay. A tough decision to forgo such a good paying job in today's economy.
    A most valuable and side benefit from operating an in-house advisor group is the amount of knowledge gathered. It is difficult to place a value upon this.
    Lastly, the advisory staff at this house's operation are a friendly bunch and most flexible with work hours.

Part of the subject was to be a Fund's Boat topic; but will just it be here and now.

Lastly, an interesting article; and on the bright side, if one is a practicing investment advisor with a decent track record, this is one area that a retiring advisor would not have to deal with upon retirement, eh?

Take care of yourselves,
    Catch
  • Few more days like this and won't need one
  • edited May 2012
    thanks for posting.
    I think what it comes down to is 85% of funds do not beat bench mark long term, so if you wanna be a couch potatoe that's ok. Am I right that only a few funds like yatchman or vanguard wellington that may do long term. also we have portfolios that are a few hundred thousands and does not make much sense to get a FA. Also these suckers eat up all your returns so you'll more likely ending up loosing more $$ long term.

I think as long as some of the gurus @ MFO stay around for a while and keep posting, just read their logs and you'll be ok long term:)
  • Reply to @hank: Likely another huge week of equity fund outflows.