Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

John Glenn. RIP

I consider myself very fortunate to have lived during a time when men began their ventures into space. Heros like John Glenn only come around once in a rare while.

Comments

• TedTed
    edited December 2016
    @MFO Members: A true American hero !
    Regards,
    Ted USMC
  • edited December 2016
    ABC News "edited-to-death" the old tapes and soundtracks of Glenn's flight for this evening's newscast.

They had Glenn taking command when the automatic attitude control system malfunctioned (true) while at the same time dodging "fireballs" passing by his window (false). In fact these were chunks of the retro-rocket belt burning up on re-entry, which the engineers had decided to keep strapped on because of a signal the heat shield might be loose. (The belt would help hold it in place.)

The two issues were totally unrelated and occurred during different phases of the flight. I guess ABC's editors decided "fake news" would be better than the real story tonight. What a shame it's come to this. Makes you wonder about all the news.

Wikipedia: Friendship 7 mission: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas_6

• That's the problem with fake news - once you make up a series of fake stories like the space program (there never was a lunar landing), you're liable to slip up on small details like what problems happened when.

But Area 51 and UFOs - they're real:-)

There once was a time when space flight and astronauts were inspiring - and real.
  • Seeing his Mercury capsule on display this summer at the Smithsonian, I was shocked at how small it was. Frightening. What courage.