Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

July cutoff for internet is real, not a scam

edited February 2014 in Off-Topic
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911

Just in case anyone has missed this.

An article was printed in the Minneapolis StarTribune today on the topic. An FBI investigation has discovered that about 570, 000 computers worldwide (85,000 US) have been taken over by malicius redirecting software which sends you to hacker operated web servers. You have until July 9th to clean up your PC or you won't be able to connect to the internet after that because the FBI is going to turn those servers off.

To see if your computer if infected you can go to the FBI-authorized website here:

www.dns-ok.us

Comments

• If you are as suspicious as I was of this thread(I have not been on the site much and don't know Mark) I don't think its necessary to worry. I did a web search on dns-ok and eventually clicked on the cited site when my software said it was safe.The test says my computer was fine so I feel better.
  • Reply to @jerry: Yes, I did that a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be legit.