Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ICI Fund Flows This Week: Head for Zee Hills

edited May 2012 in Fund Discussions
"Equity funds had estimated outflows of $7.02 billion for the week, compared to estimated outflows of $3.52 billion in the previous week. Domestic equity funds had estimated outflows of $7.20 billion, while estimated inflows to world equity funds were $184 million."

Smaller inflows to bond funds and an overall outflow from funds in general for the first time in five weeks. The largest outflow from domestic equity funds in 5 weeks, too.

"Total estimated outflows from long-term mutual funds were $4.92 billion for the week ended Wednesday, May 23, the Investment Company Institute reported today. Flow estimates are derived from data collected covering more than 95 percent of industry assets and are adjusted to represent industry totals."

http://ici.org/research/stats/flows/flows_05_30_12

Comments

• Scott, thank you. Was reading this from another report; and noting that although bond funds had a positive flow, the numbers are a fair amount lower than previous week. Wonder if some folks are moving away from both areas....nah !!! I have not dug into the number factors, and in particular what taxable bond flows really mean. Does it include monies to U.S. Treasury areas, too?
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: There were still inflows into bond funds, but less than the prior week. I'd think the T-bond funds would be included in the bond fund inflows counted. I don't think that people are moving away from Treasury Bonds, but I think there's possibly a point where people just don't want to buy funds. It would not surprise me if there was continued direct treasury purchases rather than people investing in funds. The search for yield certainly is not going to stop, I think, for a long while.
  • "Wonder if some folks are moving away from both areas"... what areas are left? Lessee now... the tin can area, the mattress area... ummm... what else?
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Probably some real estate for those who can.

Art.
    Art Market Bright Despite Global Gloom, Christie's Says
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303807404577432000313091864.html