Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TP deep value purchase will start today and continue ...........

edited June 2012 in Off-Topic
Howdy,

As one of household axioms goes: "If ya ain't got it, ya can't invest it !"

'Course investing may take many forms and durations.

The deep value purchase this week will be the Cottonelle, Ultra 20 rolls package of toilet paper.

The normal everyday price at our local Kroger store is $15.96, but is on sale this week for $9.99.
This represents about a 37% discount today and a possible better rate going forward over the next 2 years,
if retail pricing continues upward via inflation.

This pricing program has been offered during the past several years, but had always been a part of the
cancer awareness month of October, excluding last year, 2011, when the program did not happen for some reason.

Note: toilet paper has a nominal shelf life of 2 years.

The math has been performed and the purchase quantity will begin today; and another good reason for the cargo capacity of a mini-van.

And don't forget, the word frugal may also equate to the word profit.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Costco has some very good deals, but I find that their paper goods products are just okay - you can find better deals in local stores (CVS, grocery, whatever) if you look. I'll probably renew at Costco this year, but I think it's not the "one stop" - there are better deals elsewhere (although they're going to vary from week-to-week) on a lot of things.
  • Hi Scott,
    I have shopped Costco and Sam's Club, too..........some things are priced okay and others are not, depending on local store sales.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Same here in SF. Costco fresh meats are of consistently high quality here.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah I shop at Costco too - the meats are of high quality and many other bulk foods are pretty good deals too.

Their fruits are of pretty good quality. I seen some fruits elsewhere cheaper when on sale but they don't last as long (too ripe).

I like their box of Truvia sugar for example. The OxyClean box looks like a pretty good deal compared to what I saw at Target. The Pediasure nutritional vitamin milk for toddlers is a pretty good deal. Same goes for Organic eggs and Organic milk that I buy at Costco for my toddler.

You're right - I can get most of my shopping done at Costco and since time is precious outside of work and activities - I like to save time from not having to run around to 3 different shops. I get some veggies at Costco but also supplement that at another local grocery store with a larger variety of veggies that I need.

And some of the frozen appetizers are convenient and good for parties too.

I buy my bag of Jasmine Rice at Costco and the price is pretty decent - better than most places I've seen. And Jasmine Rice is more costly than regular White rice.

Nesquick Chocolate milk powder for my toddler is a good deal - definite savings there.

I haven't bothered to look nor have any interest in doing Coffin comparision shopping;-)
    Some of the seasonal stuff like the big pots of nice flowers look like pretty good deals to me.

Come on admit it --- how often after shopping do you give in and grab a hot dog or pizza slice? LOL.

• Kenster,
    I am still waiting for the food/snack samples folks to move over into the wine section of the stores. -:)
    Catch
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Maurice: "what can I expect from TP that is older than 2 years? '

I'm guessing if you blow on it, it flys away like Dandelion spores.

I do like Trader Joe's a great deal, although one really has to look at nutrition information - some of their stuff is really actually quite fantastic, some is so salty that it's astonishing. I think it's because different companies may make the TJ brand items, you get a variation in healthiness from item-to-item, even with similar items.
  • Reply to @Maurice: Thanks for asking. Wondering the same thing myself...
  • edited June 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @scott: Yeah, TJ is great. We get most of our wine there, and lots of other good stuff too.
  • Howdy Maurice,
    My limited research finds the founding from a web site: "toilet paper takes 40 years to decompose at 14,000 feet, so if you know you'll be stuck in a high place for a while, you might as well bunker up."
    'Course the problem isn't so much with total decomposition, as with useability, eh?
    The nominal 2 years shelf life that I noted previous also attempts to take into consideration of how the TP may have been produced; as some perfumes and other chemical agents may reduce the shelf life.
    Did you check the "use before" date stamp on the package?
    Scott's note about how to check for long term storage quality applies; as well as if when picking up the stored package and the contents appear to look like "cotton candy".

On a serious note and TP. When a premium blend was found while backpacking in Morocco, a "stash" was gathered....smashed flat to its full extent and placed any and everywhere into the backpack. A premium product of this nature could be worth a lot out on the backroads of foot travel. Almost as good as a tall glass of ice water during a hot summer day in the desert.

Ah, we all feel better now, eh? Got your minds off the market for awhile.

Take care,
    Catch
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @Maurice: Non-GMO Seeds would be what I would go with.
  • edited June 2012
    Hi Maurice,
    You are absolute and correct. If one can mouse proof the TP package; a two fold benefit will take place. Proper storage and arrangement of staggering the package placements in the attic will also provide for a thermal affect to reduce heating and cooling costs, as well as some found of sound proofing. Gold is good for some things and not others; and indeed would be reusable...........but, don't flush, eh? And indeed, TP could fetch a decent price with the right conditions. Never thought you'd have to carry a sidearm when hawking TP on the street corner, eh?
    Just be careful if any neighbors are watching you cart package after package of TP through the house door; as you sure don't want the local TV crew arriving and asking questions after someone posted a phone video of you busy at work in the middle of the night offloading the TP.
    I don't want to hear a story about you on WBZ.
    Just mess'in with ya about the "use by date code".
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Yes, I'd definitely worry about the mice...
  • Did the site get hacked. Did bad old housewives hack all our accounts.

Shelf Life of Toilet Paper.

GOOD GRIEF !!!
  • The original note from me is a valid plan as part of a household budget.
    Past that, grab a big smile and place upon your face with this thread. We all need some unwind connected with the investing, or blow a 50 amp fuse.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Costco meats are said to be free of "pink slime".
  • So, combining the themes of TP and Costco. I, like someone above, have been using Northern - the purple super-duper kind. I am thinking of trying Costco's Kirkland brand. My husband has increased the number of uses for TP and is currently going through it like I have never seen. Some say Kirkland is surprisingly good. But compared to purple super-duper? We'll see. I can alway use it for emergency backup until the "expiration date" (how strange). Glad I got rid of the mice.