Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Down and down she goes... where she stops nobody knows...
  • Not only do I find it odd that people still consider the rating agencies to be honest and relevant, but also I find it even odder that no one knows the health of the banks without the same rating agencies telling them.
  • Well, see, there's secrets that everyone knows (examples: the gov't "Inflation Index" is adjusted to reflect the Martian economy; the price of oil is rigged).

Then there's secrets that only some people know (examples: stay away from the Facebook IPO; stay away from most banks).

Then there's the secrets that nobody knows (example: what is the minimum IQ required to be elected to the US Congress?)
  • wonder if this is the start of the 2nd wave/crash that they've been preaching over the past few yrs
  • edited June 2012
    The faster and the deeper the downgrades - the better and quicker for deeper value creation from a stock perspective.

In fact - I can't wait for Santander Bank in Spain to crash even further to create even more delicious deeply discounted opportunities.

• Yes- Santander, like Wells Fargo, is being dragged down by the others but is really in pretty good shape.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:
    Realizing that IQ is in some sense a measure of acquired knowledge, I was going to say zero, since embryos (who haven't yet acquired knowledge) are people. But then I remembered that the Constitution says that representatives must be at least 25 years old (senators 30).

But then I remembered that a lot of people "know" that we can ignore Constitutional requirements - isn't the president a Kenyan?

So I guess that gets me back to my original answer - zero.

--------------

Then there are corporations (more legal people, and lots over 25 years old), but don't get me started on that ... (just how intelligent are some of these banks - perhaps Citibank, at 200, has reached senility?)
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Easy come ... easy go - or something like that (-:
  • I went largely to cash 2 weeks ago as even more ghouls started coming out of closets the world over. Equities have sold off every summer since 2007 (except for 2009), seems like a pattern to me.
  • edited June 2012
    :-))
  • I'm with you, youngster. Lightened up in February and March, took profits from Jan/Feb and ran with the money. Glad I did... just looking at the overall world financial situation back then didn't look especially promising. Kenster is quite right though- keep your eyes open for a selective buying opportunity- there are still a lot of great companies out there. FWIW, I'm looking for some sort of resolution of the Euro situation as a buy signal. Now, "resolution" most likely will not mean "all-fixed", but maybe at least a leveling-off of the major unknowns/pessimism factors- I don't think that we're likely to see "all-fixed" for many years yet.
  • Reply to @msf: Since corporations are now considered people thanks to Supreme Court decision, they should themselves be allowed to be elected to congress. A company that is 25 years old can be a representative and one that is 30 years old could be senator.
  • Same here. I was tempted to buy some IVV couple of days back, as the momentum was beginning to change, but the volume was petering out as it approached a resistance. I was ready to pull the trigger if it broke the resistance with good volume. Still in BOND in my tax-sheltered account since end of April.
  • Oh, no! This time you've done it for sure! As soon as they see your post it's all over.

On the plus side: they will be able to save a ton of money on lobbyists, and I'm sure that they'll pass on those savings to us consumers.
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @johnN: I don't know about that, but someone did make the semi-interesting point that in 2008, oil came down in the Summer, then stocks came down in the Fall. Either way, oil falling around $35-40 is not a good indicator and while gas has come down, it's still pretty damn high in many areas - as I've said in other threads, people were pissed when it was $4 a gallon and $150 a barrel in 2008, now it's high $3's in many areas and around $80.
  • edited June 2012
    Right and look what happened --- Morgan Stanley was downgraded yesterday and after-hours it was trading up just over 3%. Now at the pre-open today it's up over 3.5%. JPM and BAC and others were also up after-hours.

Why? Because the pros saw this as a good thing whereas the rest of the market had a knee-jerk reaction. The pros were expecting a downgrade for some time now! It finally came and they were wondering what took so long for the downgrade to occur. It was not a damn, wow shocking event. It was like when you were a little kid with that nagging loose tooth for months and one-day it finally falls out.

The shares are up because the market-causing knee-jerk reaction is over (at least this one for now). The short-term traders and I guess even trading computers too pressured the uptick after-hours & pre-open trading hours.

Even Dr. Doom & Gloom (Marc Faber) is starting to see some compelling opportunities in some European companies. Doesn't mean you have to take a big bite now but starting to sniff around and smell the blood. Even Steve Romick's FPACX, as of March 31, had 17.8% in European companies.

• Reply to @Kenster1_GlobalValue: So are you buying up bank shares?