Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Schwab: Dead End on Emerging Markets?

edited June 2012 in Fund Discussions
In the current thread: "Choosing the Right Asset Class in Emerging Markets: Why it Matters", there are a fair number of recommendations by MFO posters. I've been trying to see if any of these are available through Schwab, but so far, it seems not.

ODMAX: Institutional Investors Only
ODVYX: Institutional Investors Only
ODVNX: Trust Company Customers Only
WAEMX: Closed to new investors
GTDYX: Available to Existing Shareholders
LZOEX: Available to Existing Shareholders

FNMIX: Available, with Transaction Fee: $76

Evidently not easy to find a good EM fund with NTF via Schwab.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Lazard has launched 3 more EM equity funds after they closed LZOEX. Take a look at them.

LDMOX EMBOX EMMOX

and EMDOX is EM Bond funds.

You can buy FNMIX without transaction fee if you open an account at Fidelity. It take 5-10mins online to open an IRA account. If you choose Fidelity also take a look at FEDDX. This fund is new but investing smaller cap Emerging Markets (consumer oriented companies in Emerging Markets) and is very similar to WAEMX. It has performed very well this year. An if you want EM balanced fund, FTEMX is a possibility.
  • Joe, you might take a look at Thornburg Developing World THDIX, which might be available no-load, NTF at Schwab. It is pretty new, but is on track to be the best over the last three years. Another to consider is Northern Multi-Manager Emerging Market NMMEX. Both of these strike me as better options than Fidelity at this time.
  • edited June 2012
    Hi Bob-

THDIX: Registered Investment Advisers Only
    NMMEX: Available, seems like a decent possibility. Will keep on watch.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Best Regards- OJ
  • THDIX is available at Scottrade for $100K...
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:
    Joe, I've used the TRP fund, PRMSX in the past. I've been out of EM's for a while, but just started a small position in ODVYX recently after looking into Bob's recommendations. PRMSX generally gets good press as a steady-eddie EM fund.