Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wondering if it is possible to reference comments to other responders within a thread...

beebee
edited July 2012 in Technical Questions
As often is the case, a thread maybe started by one contributor but may be responded to by others who have commented. I was wondering... if JohnN were to start a thread and catch22 were to make a comment to JohnN and then I , bee, were to comment to catch22 could the "recent" tag include who I am commenting...in this case, (catch22). It might appear as...recent: bee (catch22). This would clue catch22 that I have responded to his comments and prompt him to read what I had to say...which usually is timeless and prophetic (not).

Comments

• Howdy bee,
    This first comment from me is directly to you; but not using a "reply" tab function which is not available with the 1st comment to an original post, but as you note; you would not be aware except to find the "yellow" flag that a comment has been added and that I was the first.
    With my current and this first comment and others that may follow, if I want to provide a direct comment to a writer, I will use the "reply" function available with their post. If the poster has also set their own list of choices when being a registered user, they may also "select" to receive an email message of the reply.
    This is not a complete, and perhaps is not a real answer to your question as to the notation area you have indicated in your graphic.
    Hoping that I did not muddy the water of your question.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • I suggest that both of you have lost whatever you were using for minds.

Respectfully, OJ
    :-)
  • Hey OJ.......Howdy,
    bee and I are performing a test here at MFO, based in grammar study, the meaning of words, comprehension and retention of the implied meaning; and interpretation of the implied meaning. Kinda like attempting to read a congressional bill for a full understanding of the intent of the original document.
    Some questions and answers are best suited in a real-time, face to face format, eh?
    'Course, we could have been attempting to discuss quantum mechanics theory. Nah, then all of the words could have traveled into a black hole.
    I have been house painting for 2 weeks and may be impaired from chemical fumes.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22:

I think OJ is trying to tell you he missed his morning coffee:-)
  • Howdy Gandalf,

Hey, OJ posted about 10pm PST. He is probably just messing with us.....I agree. Although his wit and humor is always welcomed here, at MFO. I wrote about midnight EST and probably should have already been sleeping, or perhaps was near sleep when I wrote....:):):)
    On an unrelated note, but to keep one's mind sharp and refreshed for investing; I would like to have the ability to offer "rides" once a month.
    I will choose a '66 Chevelle with a blueprinted 396 c.i. motor (the Z-16, 375hp option), a M-22 close ratio 4 speed trans. and a 3.73 final axle ratio rear gear.
    The "ride" would encompass moving down an interstate entrance ramp to a smooth and open section of the interstate. While maintaining first gear down the ramp, until a straight path is set onto the interstate and then proceeding to set shift points at 6,000 rpm for each shift change, including 4th gear at 6,000 rpm.
    Most assuredly a "ride" that will keep one pinned back into the seat. For those with weak bladders, a retention pad of some form would be highly recommended.
    Well, okay; now I am back to reality and back to work.
    Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22:

I'll bite if you change that to a 4.11 or was it a 4.10 axle back then. I can't remember cause I had 4.56 for those hole shots. Take care and I hope everything is good with you up on the pennisula.
  • Reply to @Gandalf:

Ratios available: 3.07, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56 & 4.88. There were a few other mixes based upon 6 cyl. motors, etc.
    I chose the 3.73 as it is enough gear to pin into the seat through the gears and yet allow for a decent top end at 6,000 rpm. I know this to be true from testing.....:):):)
    One cool, June summer night without any wind on I-75 found 132 mph. This was discovered as a friend was ahead in a Corvette with the 160 mph speedo and when the Chevelle wouldn't do any more, the high beam headlights were flashed from me so that he could check our speed indication.
    I don't know that a 3.08 axle ratio would have allowed any more top end speed; and sadly I'll never be able to discover this.

Still a lot of street beasts tucked into garages within 70 miles and they will be in full view with the upcoming Woodward Dream Cruise and Back to the Bricks.
    Woodward Ave. was always a most interesting cruise back in the late '60's; as they were a lot of young folks who were making a very good income from the auto industry jobs and bought the street cars from the factories. Also, we knew several drag racers who were also engineers of various types at the research labs in the area; and when chatting with them on a Saturday night; would discover the "factory" car they were driving that night had a one of or two of a kind: intake, transmission, pistons, cam....you name it. 'Course, part of their "work" was to street drive these cars to determine the engineering quality and/or performance. What a job, at the time.

Back to work I go.

Catch
  • edited July 2012

@bee said
    As often is the case, a thread maybe started by one contributor but may be responded to by others who have commented. I was wondering... if JohnN were to start a thread and catch22 were to make a comment to JohnN and then I , bee, were to comment to catch22 could the "recent" tag include who I am commenting...in this case, (catch22). It might appear as...recent: bee (catch22). This would clue catch22 that I have responded to his comments and prompt him to read what I had to say...which usually is timeless and prophetic (not).

When JohnN or somebody else replied to you? Either your clue. recent: bee (catch22)
    would be lost and under your scenario recent: JohnN (bee) would have to replace it or append to it and it would become unwieldy I would think.

• Thanks Acc...I kinda figured this could cause some tangles. As you may have experienced... as the thread lengthens it is often difficult to find the latest contribution because it doesn't necessarily post at the end of the thread but, instead has branched off the main thread a number of times. Thanks for your input.
  • @bee - the latest contribution to a post always has a yellow circle with a red dot in the center.

if you are logged in - the black and white icon near the name means it is unread by you since you last accessed discussion.

the yellow icon with the blue r - is an icon that appears if the post is less than a few hours old.

don't know if you were aware of that.
  • Reply to @Accipiter:

That's really helpful...I didn't know their significance...thanks for the explanation.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Accipiter- You know, this reminds me that I've always thought that MFO would benefit from a quick and dirty "user info" or "helpful hints" section. Perhaps it could be "triggered" to automatically show when someone asks a question in the "technical questions" section, or maybe have a place up on the "blue bar".

I seem to notice quite a number of new folks visiting MFO as of late, and a short user guide might be very helpful to them, and encourage yet more panel participation.

Regards- OJ
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:

I think it might help some people, and some people never read documentation or user guides. I haven't done anything on the site since writing some software for viewing mangers. I find I derive no pleasure from writing documentation so, but I bet if you did, David and Chip would be happy to see what you got.

I think if they decide to upgrade to the new version of vanillaforums software, alot of bells and whistles that people have mentioned and some plugins that I wrote you guys would see a bit of an improvement (e.g. notifications that pop up on the screen that somebody has commented on your discussion or your bookmark, ability to add html,s more easily, ignoring users, etc). For me I can't help with any kind of upgrade (except this weekend) until after the olympics is over. but as with every upgrade their may be some growing pains, but it would definitely be worth it.