Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

profit taxation

2»

Comments

• That's not a video, man... that's an actual movie!! :)
  • yes, my badge and check said MV Ward Hill, iirc
    What a wack movie to make even in 1959
    Awesome music, hand-assembled I-beams, brickmasons
    and that muxing explanation!
    So white
    Is there a point here about lack of competition?
    Not a lot of kaizen urgency; the tone is perfect for even 30y later.
    (Am rereading Lolita, so funny, which takes place not far away.)
    When I was there then, there were considerable tension and meetings in NJ about leisureliness and sinecurity, with endless, nearly crippling nostalgia for pre-breakup.
    I documented cross-provisioning hardware, and much other, and listened to DMTS (Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff) colleagues laugh on and on about Apple.
  • The key word is "nostalgia." I wonder if it's possible for anyone to completely separate the aesthetic and functional value of those rotary phones from their nostalgic attachment associated with those phones from memories of their youth. The myth that things were so much better when we were young is just as bad as the myth that technological progress is always good. What I dread is the possibility that millennials today will wax poetic about how great Justin Bieber was thirty years from now and how they just don't make music like they used to. Lolita is a great book by the way. I can say that emphatically with no nostalgia.
  • edited September 2017
    Interesting point above by LB. I do recall much better sound quality on those older phones - especially when we resided downstate in a growing suburban community in the 70s-90s. However, a lot depends on the network the phone is connected to. Possibly in major urban areas the phone companies (whoever the heck that even is today) have maintained their infrastructure.

Here in northern Michigan they haven't. Those with land lines are still relying on the same old transmission lines and burried copper wires to homes installed around here in the 50s or 60s. Before going all-cellular, we'd typically lose phone service for anywhere from 2 or 3 days to as much as a week every year. Usually occurred after heavy rains when apparently those underground cables were affected.

I'm afraid sound quality from these aging lines today isn't any better than what a good cell delivers. Reliability is arguably worse. While those old phones had their charm (and were in many cases built like a tank), what you plug them into makes a world of difference.
    -

Edit: While I've never smashed a phone against the wall ... I've been sorely tempted of late to smash one against the TV screen after a certain person appears and begins rambling - If you get my drift.