Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WSJ: House Republicans Are Still Considering 401(k) Changes in Tax Overhaul

Here are a few excerpts from a current article in the WSJ:

• Rep. Kevin Brady (R., Texas), chairman of the House’s tax-writing Ways and Means Committee, said lawmakers were considering changes to 401(k) plans, despite President Donald Trump’s insistence... [that the] break for retirement savings should be untouched.

• As those details emerge, political resistance is building in the White House and beyond.

• Republicans also discussed state and local tax deductions... one option is replacing the deduction with a tax credit worth between 8% and 20% of a household’s property tax payments.

• in a sign GOP leaders expect they have enough votes, they canceled a late Wednesday meeting aimed at building support from lawmakers from high-tax states.

Comments

• TedTed
    edited October 2017
    @Old_Joe & MFO Members: Here's an opinion the Linkster generally agrees with. Reminds me of the "grass is greener in the other fellows yard" !
    Regards,
    Ted
    That 401(k) Tax Break Shouldn't Be Sacred:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-10-26/that-401-k-tax-break-shouldn-t-be-sacred
  • edited October 2017
    From Ted's link:

• "The Republican proposals, as they have leaked out so far, involve reducing the amount of pretax income workers can put in their 401(k) tax accounts from the current $18,000 a year ($24,000 for those 50 and older) to as low as $2,400 a year"

• "Only 32 percent of American workers are saving anything in a workplace retirement savings account. In many cases, that's because their employers don't offer one -- most private-sector employers don't."

• "The benefits are skewed toward those with higher incomes."

• "They're inefficient and often poorly managed."

• "there are far more millions of Americans who aren't getting any benefit from the current setup at all. Making it untouchable seems like a bad move."

A very interesting article, Ted. This certainly ought to get a stimulating conversation going. Thanks.
  • edited October 2017
    "Only 32 percent of American workers are saving anything in a workplace retirement savings account ...”
    That’s the reason he trumpets the sky-high stock market so often. It’s the Republican plan to encourage more workers to throw their hard earned money at the blazing thing. My shoe-shine boy was saying ...
    Or was it the bartender ...
    -
    Thanks @Ted for the thoughtful article. I never understood the logic of every Tom, Dick and Harry having to amass / manage hundreds of thousands of dollars for his eventual old age. Assuming they have the skills, discipline and a bit of good luck, they than become sitting ducks for every sap that wants some of their wealth. And, as mentioned, we don’t all die at the same age. But, for some reason, the concept of having personal control over a small fortune resonates with the little guy. I never understood that or a lot of the other thinking that goes on among those who labor for a living.
  • From that link:

In the 10-year budget window by which the tax plan is being evaluated, a switch from regular to Roth has a positive impact on revenue. Over the long run, it's a money loser.

That's wrong. The same argument that's used to show that (assuming tax rates don't change) contributing to a trad or Roth IRA comes out the same can show that the present value of tax revenue is the same either way. (You have to use a discount rate equal to the expected rate of return, though.)

Now it is true that if one maxes out a Roth (whether 401k or IRA) as opposed to maxing out a traditional, one will come out ahead - and thus present value of tax revenue will be reduced. But if workers are interested in maxing out in a Roth 401k, they can already do that; this law doesn't affect those people.

They're expensive. This compares the aggregate tax costs of 401(k)s and EICs, without looking at the number of people participating in each. If 401(k)s cost the government more, perhaps that just means they're available to more people, and not that they're inefficient. Apples and oranges.

Most American workers don't have them. That's why the Obama administration created a rule to enable states to fill the gap by sponsoring retirement plans for the private sector, until that got killed by Congress (50-49 in the Senate).

They're inefficient and often poorly managed. That could be cleaned up with <gasp> regulations, like adding fiduciary duty requirements. Or if this is such a big problem, why not get rid of employer-sponsored plans altogether and increase the IRA cap to add in the current $18K/$24K 401k cap? That wouldn't boost tax revenue, but it would fix this supposed problem.

• They aren't going to touch 401(k)s. Simple as that.
  • edited October 2017
    Need to clarify my above comments. I do think the 401-K and other pre-tax incentives should remain. What caught my attention (and to which I responded) was the proposal mentioned in the same article for some kind of universal retirement program, professionally managed, and to which employers and employees would make mandatory contributions That type of program would help those who fall between the cracks with the current employee-supported individual plans. Makes good sense in a lot of ways. Especially since one’s longevity is uncertain.

Really, however, what are the chances our elected officials would pony-up / pay the fiddler / bite the bullet? (you pick the metaphor). Heck, every social welefare program from public education to Social Security and Medicare is currently under assault.

(Unable to get a cut-and-paste to work or I would quote the portion of the article I was referring to.)
  • @hank- This might be the section that you were mentioning:

"there's the bold plan unveiled last year by New School economics professor Teresa Ghilarducci and Blackstone President Tony James to replace the 401(k) with mandatory, professionally managed retirement savings accounts that are automatically converted to annuities at retirement."

• edited October 2017
    Yep - That’s the point I liked. Wouldn’t cut & paste for me. Thanks.

(There’s also a link to that plan in Ted’s article - but rather lengthy.)
  • edited October 2017
    @hank- Not sure about your article... that excerpt was from Ted's link. Here's some thought (or whatever I use for thought) on that...

This seems to me to be a modification of Republican efforts some years back to convert SS accounts into something similar. That didn't get off the ground, but this approach, a Retirement Savings Account in addition to SS, is interesting. The arguments for and against would certainly include the requirements for the "professionally managed" aspect: expenses, fiduciary responsibility, etc. The usual areas for "professional managers" to pick the low-hanging fruit.

If such mandatory plans did come into being, how long would it be until certain political groups began calling for the complete dismantlement of SS, on the grounds that it was no longer necessary? And then followed (after a "decent interval", of course) by modifications to reduce or eliminate entirely the employer contributions to the RSAs?

And then gutted to remove any requirement for fiduciary responsibility, as "this has proven to be too complex, and to lead to costly and unnecessary legal expenses".

And finally configured to require administrative-appointed mandatory arbitration, again to eliminate "costly and unnecessary legal expenses".

There... that ought to satisfy the bastards.
  • edited October 2017
    Thanks for the thoughts OJ. Here’s a link I dug up (elsewhere) to the same article linked in Ted’s article. PDF & quite long (if anyone’s having trouble sleeping). It outlines the “bold new proposal.” ”http://www.economicpolicyresearch.org/images/Retirement_Project/Retirement_Security_Guaranteed_digital.pdf

The entire issue gets quite confusing. One hand giveth and the other taketh away. The “big money” interests do seem more interested in cutting taxes and exacting maximum labor from the proletariat than in making old age easier for those fortunate (unfortunate) enough to grow old. (Orwell does a terrific job with this one in Animal Farm when the loyal old work mare Boxer is hauled away to the glue factory.)

Umm ...I somehow never equated SS with being a “retirement” plan. My understanding is it was pushed through during the Great Depression to keep oldsters from dying of starvation. I receive it, and can tell you SS would provide for a lousy retirement without being supplemented by a decent pension and some personal savings. I don’t think that surprises anyone.

• edited October 2017
    @hank- OK, from your pdf link, here's a quick summary of what the proposal will or won't do:

It is a personal savings plan, not a handout. The Plan relies on individually owned retirement accounts and existing government infrastructure to deliver results.

It is built on personal responsibility, personal choice, and effective investment. You accumulate your money in your own account where you have full control. If you die before retirement, your savings are passed on to your spouse.

It is lifelong retirement security. Annuitized returns ensure a consistent standard of living for as long as retirees live.

It is mandatory—but cost-neutral for almost all below median income employees. The Plan creates a $600 tax credit for every worker who contributes to their Guaranteed Retirement Account (GRA). This means that households earning up to $40,000 per year will have their yearly retirement savings fully reimbursed.

It is deficit neutral. The tax credit is fully paid for by redirecting existing government subsidies away from the wealthiest Americans and spreading it evenly over the entire income distribution.

It is not another form of Social Security. This is your own money in your own account. The government can’t ever get at the money. Each individual will buy their own annuity with their accumulated retirement savings—and the system relies upon private insurance company payers.

It is not another new government bureaucracy. The Retirement Savings Plan utilizes existing government infrastructure.

It is not another program run by the government. You contribute to a pooled trust managed by an entity of your choosing, so the returns are higher and fees lower than in an individual directed account. You decide when to retire and convert your savings into lifelong income.

It includes no new taxes.

It will not increase the deficit.

============

Personal observation: "The government can’t ever get at the money." surely has to be the most overly-optimistic sentence in the English language.
  • Bad faith / automatic cynicism, I suggest. Give a good example ('personal observation') supporting your suspicion?
  • edited October 2017
    Really? I can’t believe they said that!
  • edited October 2017
    403b's and 457's plans would be included, too, yes?

Will the legislation be crafted to exclude Republican workers???:):):)
  • @davidrmoran "Bad faith / automatic cynicism I suggest."

It is a pleasure to verify your suggestion.
  • Thanks; I await your examples.
  • edited October 2017
    @davidrmoran: Well, how about the completely unjustified confiscation of money and private property on the mere suspicion of wrongdoing, before a trial, with proceeds going to the arresting agency. That's still going on.

Many times there is no trial, because the charges are dropped, but the confiscation stands. Many documented cases like this... google the subject.
  • I agree with msf's analysis. Problem is GOP is trying to find revenue (i.e. taxation) to pay for billions of corporate and high income tax cut, while not increase future budget deficit. Haven't we seen this trickle down policy before and it amounted to big deficit in the 80's.
  • For sure civil forfeiture is incredible, an unbelievably bad thing, though does not seem to me to quite fit what you are or were talking about. But I shoulda thought of it, thanks.
  • Sven said:

I agree with msf's analysis. Problem is GOP is trying to find revenue (i.e. taxation) to pay for billions of corporate and high income tax cut, while not increase future budget deficit. Haven't we seen this trickle down policy before and it amounted to big deficit in the 80's.

Everybody is scared to do it, but the solution is entitlement reform.
  • Arithmetic is the (unsuccessful) enemy of regressive policy.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/10/26/the-gop-greatest-enemy-taxes-math/mNTeRavM6EVlpeQUkwSxEM/story.html

Unrelated, 'entitlement reform' often means making plumbers and service people work longer so that wealthy white collars don't have to pay higher contribs. Has been analyzed thoroughly.
  • Entitlement programs should have never been created in the first place. Great thought and wishful thinking, but not sustainable.
  • Haha, roll back the New Deal. I imagine you have no memory of what elderly life was like before SS (I don't), but I wonder if you have memories of what healthcare life was like before Medicare and Medicaid (that I do).
  • I'm so confused. I heard tax cuts to rich people and corporations pay for themselves. What's all the new and extra revenue from doing away with deferred savings going to buy extra for America? Bridges?
  • "I heard tax cuts to rich people and corporations pay for themselves."

And I heard that Santa Claus and the tooth fairy are real.

The "new and extra revenue from doing away with deferred savings", if it happens, is going to provide the tax breaks for the famous upper 1%.
  • >> I heard tax cuts to rich people and corporations pay for themselves.

Good one. Bogus then, bogus since, bogus now, and more bogus because there has been actual testing of the notion --- Kansas. Not to mention all the graphs of US econ performance vs tax rates.
  • Let's take this to it's logical conclusion. Why stop with "rich people"? Cut taxes for everyone and in no time at all the increased revenue will result in so much revenue we won't know what to do with it all!
  • edited October 2017
    Old_Joe said:

Let's take this to it's logical conclusion. Why stop with "rich people"? Cut taxes for everyone and in no time at all the increased revenue will result in so much revenue we won't know what to do with it all!

Just think what a 0.000000001% flat tax would do! Nearly infinite revenue -- we could build walls everywhere! (If only I could find the napkin where I did that calculation ...)
  • Because the curve is tethered the curve at 0 and 100% with a unknown sweet spot Laffer believed to be at a low rate. Mike Kimel at Angry Bear had a bit of fun generating his own Laffer curve, the Mike Kimel curve, and establishing around 32% as the sweet spot.
    https://angrybearblog.com/2011/10/laffer-curve-and-kimel-curve.html

(And many others have had similar fun with this.)
  • Revenue neutrality is not possible without entitlement reform (I'm probably the only millennial on this board and oddly enough the only one willing to admit that's the case). And to be perfectly honest, we need more than neutrality... Have you seen our deficit?