Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

An Insane View Of The Milky Way From The Edge Of New Zealand

FYI: New Zealand's South Island spans 58,000 square miles of breathtaking, verdant terrain. But nothing on the ground surpasses what's in the sky. The region is home to the largest dark sky observatory in the world, glittering with millions of stars and spectacular views of the Milky Way.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.wired.com/story/an-insane-view-of-the-milky-way-from-the-edge-of-new-zealand/

Comments

• Spectacular! Heading there soon to see it for myself.
  • Have a great time, he said enviously.
  • I've only been in a similar environment once before, and one of the most amazing things I observed was that the stars were different colors. Yes, I'd heard of red giants, etc, but I had never seen this with my own eyes. I'll never forget it.

I too am envious Mark.
  • @MFO Members: Paul Wilson Images:
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.paulwilsonimages.com/home/
  • edited December 2017
    Thanks @Ted. Spectacular for sure. A navy veteran once mentioned to me how stunning the
    MW appeared at sea at night with lights out on the ship (to avoid detection).

We’re in the 50/50 zone. Some light pollution, but still pretty good viewing on moonless nights,
    (@Mark - be sure to time your trip for a moonless period).:)

I’ve been a space cadet all my life. Enjoy sitting in the backyard on clear moonless nights with 12X image stabilized binoculars. Stumbled upon the Andromeda galaxy last summer. Wow. What a sight - even at low magnification. It’s 2.5 million light years away. And I’m sitting in my freaking backyard staring at it!

@Press - Yup. Those colors do come through pretty well under a bit of magnification. Blue are the hottest (and generally youngest) stars. Reds are the cooler ones. Guess white’s somewhere in the middle. The Pleiades (very easy to see with binocs) are a brilliant blue.