Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A MFO fave shines and Gaffney regains her touch

edited January 2018 in The Bullpen
I received a PM about my lack of transparency on some of my 2018 bond holdings. The reason is some poser/pretender on that other forum seems to troll this board looking for ideas and then presenting them as his own. So here goes and we shall see if his behavior continues.

I mentioned in 2014 that a board favorite here was too stodgy for me - MAINX. But stodgy no longer. It is my choice in the world/emerging markets bond sector. Congrats to all those here who are investors and held in recent years. I wish I could say it’s my largest holding but still trying to figure how to size it based on it’s potential volatility. I did however sell my emerging markets bond holding - TGINX - and added the proceeds into my existing holding of MAINX because I saw no reason to hold both funds. Another fund I hold and trying to decide how to properly size is EVBIX. Gaffney has regained her touch. I hold IVHIX in junk corporates and EIFAX in bank loans. I would prefer LSFYX in the latter but not available where I trade.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone go out and buy these funds. I am here today gone tomorrow based on price action. And I won’t hold a losing position. I really worry about the complacency out there in the markets. I can’t recall when I have felt so insecure about my positions. Maybe that is a good sign. It’s the cocky and secure that are often taken by surprise and sit there paralyzed when the markets move against them.