Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Fund Research Newsletter: Looming Policy Warfare ... Ignore at Your Own Peril!

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
Investors should look for volatility during the coming weeks. Read all about it below:

http://funds-newsletter.com/sept12-newsletter/sept12-steve.htm

An update (Wednesday 09/05/2012 6:00 Am EDT) ...

Yesterday was a rush, rush, rush day for me after coming off a long weekend from being at the coast and now back in town with duties at the office. Through most of the summer I was able to take much time off and enjoy the summer as I wished. I spent some time looking for things that I'd like to do in retirement and came across a small tourist business opportunity. Thinking on it hard. I have about another year before my planned exit and there is no rush for me to leave ... and besides, I'll make more if I stay put than if I pursue the small business retirement opportunity at the caost with some of my now retired high school class mates.

And, there is my love for investing. That is what brought me to write this update. As many know, I have booked some recent profit form my spiff positions as I have sold equities down in anticipation of the looming policy warfare as noted in the above article. I am probally not by myself in doing that as I am finding from my research and study that money seems to still be leaving my market proxy while its price line has been in a slight decent for a couple of weeks. By the middle of September the market should be feeling the efects of the political climate ... and, then there is Europe plus all the stuff Congress will have to deal with before year end with the Bush era tax cuts, etc. Looks kinda stormy does it not? I've been at the coast off-an-on through the years to feel a good storm formation brewing ... and, folks I feel one's on its way. The barometer is dropping and now showing "change."

I have taken notice of the barometer drop and put plenty of cash on the side line ... enough to pursue a small business opportunity if I so choose. But, with this I am still faced with the daily grind. Think I'll continue to putter around with investing. Best part time high return opportunity I have found where I can allocate my time by my choice and not by the demands of others (customers) and still have to deal with other business headaches that now calls me in early today.

Time to get to the office ... my desk is calling. Besides, my boss says ... You have enjoyed the summer; and, now I am going to enjoy the fall.

Have a good day ... and, I wish you "Good Investing."
Skeeter

Comments

• edited September 2012
    As for politics, a Bloomberg article today - "Ben Feller of the Associated Press asked President Barack Obama a good question recently. If Obama wins re-election, Feller said, Republicans are still likely to have a majority in the House. “How is that any different from what we have now? Why wouldn’t a voter look at that and say that’s a recipe for stalemate? How would you do anything differently?”

Obama responded, “Well, there are a couple things that I think would change. No. 1, the American people will have voted. They will have cast a decisive view on how we should move the country forward, and I would hope that the Republican Party, after a fulsome debate, would say to itself, we need to listen to the American people.”

lol. There's going to be more volatility into the end of the year and a political system that is going to remain broken either way.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-03/if-you-think-obama-s-first-term-was-bad-imagine-a-second.html

• Reply to @scott: As much as I respect and enjoy your posts I have to tell you that you'd make a lousy politician. Telling the truth is not an option.
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe: I get that. It's a matter of being impressed by his ability to say something like "They will have cast a decisive view on how we should move the country forward, and I would hope that the Republican Party, after a fulsome debate, would say to itself, we need to listen to the American people” with a straight face. It's also a matter of being impressed that anyone actually believes that - that a second term will somehow magically bring the change discussed. Yet, I'm sure people do because there are people who follow both sides who are so riled up about how awful the villains of the other side are that they never question the faults of their own side.

It's also being impressed that politics has gotten so far away from actually caring about the priorities of the country and its people and given such a focus to political games that offer nothing of substance to the country and instead purely are in the interest of political and monetary (special interests, etc) gain.

Telling the truth is often not an option - I get it - but a little substance; some actual leadership, a difficult decision or two instead of continually kicking the can from either side would be nice.

That's all. As for volatility, it'll return before year-end, as it's Groundhog Day finance - the same problems (Europe, etc) will not be fixed by continual can kicking. You also have an investing climate that is increasingly dominated by ultra-short term views, which is not a positive.

Meanwhile...
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/its-official-1601576978821580
  • Reply to @scott: Yeah, the "straight face" part is really impressive.