Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Curveball From The New Tax Law: It Makes Baseball Trades Harder

FYI: The change of a single word in the new tax law means baseball, basketball and other sports franchises could now face capital gains taxes every time they exchange players.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.cetusnews.com/news/A-Curveball-From-the-New-Tax-Law--It-Makes-Baseball-Trades-Harder.rk-viZdatf.html

Comments

• @Ted; Nice find. Enjoyed the read !
    Derf
  • "...“There is no fair-market value of a baseball player. There isn’t,” said Daniel R. Halem, the chief legal officer of Major League Baseball. “I don’t really know what our clubs are going to do to address the issue. We haven’t fully figured it out yet. This is a change we hope was inadvertent, and we’re going to lobby hard to get it corrected.”

Hogwash. Then the 7-figure salaries mean nothing. Even those making the league's minimum salary have a fair-market value. Or are they paid with Monopoly money? Word games.
  • edited March 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: Not clear to me: "I can also see this going to the courts, as the leagues could argue that they are really not employees of the franchises, but the league itself. It would be a very tough argument to make, but that's why corporations have attorneys."

You mean, the way that corporate McDonald's strategically distances itself from the franchises which proudly display the McD logo and the "12 bazillion sold" sign?
  • How could it possibly be that only exchanged real estate escapes the arm of the tax law?
  • BenWP said:

How could it possibly be that only exchanged real estate escapes the arm of the tax law?

Hmmmmmmmm. Take a wild guess at just who owns a massive RE empire? And we'll just LIE on the required forms. No problem.
    https://apnews.com/002703e70347481cb993027d04f543cc

• I assume salaries approximate value