Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Pedestrian

2»

Comments

• Necessity is the mother of invention. Where is the necessity for driverless cars? We don't have enough drivers?

Uber is a 4-letter word and nothing can Lyft it out of trouble.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018
    The whole point of self-driving cars is it is supposed to save lives.

There are two kinds of AIs in the "benefit society" category. This is the category where Google Maps monitors traffic and changes directions on you automatically to find optimal route and not the category where it impersonates a human being.

So under the "benefit society" category is where self-driving cars fit. Heck I can simply send my car to my brother without any passenger in it because its my spare car and he cannot afford one right now of his own. The thing is with the Google Map example when AI goes wrong the consequences are not life threatening. THIS is my problem with the push behind self-driving cars. "Field tests" need to pass the "Smell test" before you can conclude they will actually prevent deaths. A better "AI" would be simply not let car start if drunk driver gets behind the wheel.

We have years of data of bad drivers causing bad stuff to happen. How many years of data do we have regarding self-driving cars saving lives? This is a like a company selling you a gadget and giving you a 25 year warranty on it, when it has not even been in business for 25 years. I'm not buying.

We are a free country and capitalism can fund whatever it wants. I for one don't want to glance to the side while driving and see a car with no one behind the steering. Not any time soon. I would like people to exhaust a bit more of their Natural Intelligence to decide where to apply Artificial Intelligence first.
  • edited May 2018
    "I would like people to exhaust a bit more of their Natural Intelligence to decide where to apply Artificial Intelligence first."

At this point I'd take a chance on AI for president, and absolutely to replace Congress.
  • @Old_Joe - without mythological beliefs there is no politics.