Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Movie: "Blade Runner 2049" (Don't worry, no spoiler here)

I am not a science-fiction fan, but I did enjoy the original with Harrison Ford.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I found this sequel to be unusual among most sequels. It was satisfying and engaging. Ryan Gosling stars in this one. (Yes, he portrayed Jared Vennett in "The Big Short.")

The necessary facts in order for the audience to "get up to speed" with changes and developments to follow this story are spelled out neatly and briefly (and literally) at the very beginning.

There are at least a couple of ethical assertions being made, if you are attuned to that sort of thing, but the film is not "preachy." ......And I don't want to tell you too much, and wreck your chance to enjoy this one. Yes, the usual violence. And struggle. And a bittersweet ending--- like most of life, I suppose. Among the "bonus features" on the DVD, there is "Blade Runner 101" to get you acquainted or re-acquainted with the essentials. I watched it myself, and it was helpful, I suppose. Pretty women everywhere, even pretty FAKE women. (Holograms.) A last thought: you WILL need to wear your thinking-cap for this movie. The science-fiction does not carry the plot. Rather, the science-fiction is presented and assumed. The interactions are "where it's at."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Comments

• edited April 2018
    +1. I was skeptical about it but was pleased with how it turned out ... though I wish Ford got more screentime, I think it was a worthy sequel to the original and did the original proud. Definitely gives you food for thought on a variety of levels, for sure!