Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Internet Apologizes

Really interesting article interviewing some of the key players who helped create the mess we're in online with companies like Facebook and Cambridge Analytica, helping to intentionally create social media addiction and why they now feel guilty about it. It goes step by step historically into how some of these problems evolved over time:
nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-apology-for-the-internet-from-the-people-who-built-it.html

Comments

• I just finished reading it myself. Intereresting stuff, to be sure -- they do a fair amount of dissecting the big picture. Not sure I agree with everything they said (ie, they ignore cultural shifts & solid citizen education as factors in the spread of 'fake info') but the lengthy piece is well worth some time reading!!

I wonder what the 'founders' of the internet -- ie, the BBNs, Kleinrocks, Cerfs, et.al think about the state of things today and what's been allowed to grow upon their creation.
  • Remaining twitchy about privacy over the years (technology-background); I offer the following generally related to this thread; a thank you to Bits and Pieces Technology site:

Hello! Gordon’s Pizza?
    No sir, it’s Google Pizza.
    So, I’ve got the wrong number?
    No sir, Google bought Gordon’s Pizza.
    OK – take my order, please.
    Sir, you want the usual?
    The usual? How do you know me?
    According to your caller ID, the last 12 times you ordered pizza with cheese, sausage, thick crust…OK!
    OK! That’s it! GO!!
    Sir, may I suggest to you this time ricotta cheese, arugula with sun-dried tomatoes?
    NO! I hate vegetables!
    But your cholesterol is high!
    How do you know?
    Through the Lab subscriber’s guide. We have the results of your blood tests for the last 7 years.
    Okay, but I want my regular pizza – I already take medicine.
    But sir, you’ve not taken your medicine regularly. Four months ago, you only purchased a box with 30 tablets at Drugsale Network.
    I bought more from another drugstore.
    It’s not showing on your credit card.
    I paid in cash.
    But you did not withdraw that much cash according to your bank statement.
    I have other sources of cash.
    This is not showing on your last Income-Tax return unless you got it from an undeclared source.
    WHAT THE HELL? Enough! I’m sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, Whats App. I’m going to an Island without Wi-Fi or internet – where there’s no cell phones or satellites to spy on me.
    I understand sir – but you need to renew your passport, as it expired 5 weeks ago...

Personal sidenote: I've helped a few folks over the years to create a login account to Social Security. Obviously, providing name, birthdate and SSN is easy; but also subject to fraud/hack by someone who has this same data. Additional info is then requested by the SS web site, which is "real time" security questions. A typical question may be, what is the vehicle make and model that you are currently financing?

---Some of the personal information requested is your name, Social Security number and birthdate. For other questions, an external authentication service provider, Experian, helps Social Security verify your identity by using information from your Experian credit report. This can result in what is known as a “soft inquiry” on your Experian credit report but does not affect credit scores and is not reported to lenders. It does provide the ability to protect your personal information by asking questions that only you should be able to answer.

Please note that you cannot create a my Social Security account online if you have a security freeze, fraud alert, or both on your Experian credit report. You first must ask Experian to remove the freeze or alert.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Since you introduced medical information, it's worth noting that these data already have significant privacy protection through HIPAA. Medical service providers (labs, pharmacies, health insurance companies, etc.) cannot make this information available except as allowed by you or by law.

If anything, the problems I've had with this sort of data is the opposite of your only slightly contrived example. (Great sequence, just not with medical stuff.) I've tried to get my former insurer to email me information because somehow, mysteriously, whatever they claim to have snail mailed me doesn't arrive. They've refused to email the material, saying that email is not secure. I've asked them to send me the info via their secure email system; they've refused. I've offered to waive my HIPAA protections; "we can't do that".

The system, any system, isn't going to work when those responsible for operating it are determined to undermine it. Thus we have the Facebooks, the Googles, and so on.
  • edited April 2018
    "The system, any system, isn't going to work when those responsible for operating it are determined to undermine it."

As brilliantly demonstrated by the current Executive Branch of the Federal Government.

@LewisBraham- A fascinating article, Lewis. Thanks much.
  • @OJ You're welcome.:-)
  • I'm sorry but cynical old me doesn't buy anyone was actually thinking they were doing anything wrong while they were doing it.

At this time maybe some folks are growing a conscious. At the time, why not say anything.

And oh by the way, how about you give up all the millions you earned while you were doing stuff you are saying now you should not have been doing.

Last but not the least, yours truly is one person who has never bought into this nonsense. Twitter is for twits and as for F***book the name says it all.