Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Kids Today - OT

edited April 2018 in Off-Topic
Kids with tech skills are getting into a world of trouble we could never even imagine as children--conspiring to steal $1 billion worth of intellectual property, in this case, from Microsoft and the U.S. government.

https://wired.com/story/xbox-underground-videogame-hackers/
The trip to Delaware was only supposed to last a day. David Pokora, a bespectacled University of Toronto senior with scraggly blond hair down to his shoulders, needed to travel south to fetch a bumper that he’d bought for his souped-up Volks­wagen Golf R.

The American seller had balked at shipping to Canada, so Pokora arranged to have the part sent to a buddy, Justin May, who lived in Wilmington. The young men, both ardent gamers, shared a fascination with the inner workings of the Xbox; though they’d been chatting and collaborating for years, they’d never met in person. Pokora planned to make the eight-hour drive on a Friday, grab a leisurely dinner with May, then haul the metallic-blue bumper back home to Mississauga, Ontario, that night or early the next morning. His father offered to tag along so they could take turns behind the wheel of the family’s Jetta.

An hour into their journey on March 28, 2014, the Pokoras crossed the Lewiston–Queenston Bridge and hit the border checkpoint on the eastern side of the Niagara Gorge. An American customs agent gently quizzed them about their itinerary as he scanned their passports in his booth. He seemed ready to wave the Jetta through when something on his monitor caught his eye....

Comments

• TedTed
    edited April 2018
    @Lewis: Kids !
    Regards,
    Ted:)
    W.C. Fields:
    There's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender."

"Never work with animals or children."

"I like children fried."

"Anyone who hates children and animals can't be all bad."

"I like children. If they're properly cooked."

"Yes I do like children ... Girl children...about eighteen or twenty."

"Children should neither be seen or heard from - ever again."

• Intellectual property is imaginary property.
  • If I want to turn my microwave into an XBox and vice versa, that should be fine. If I do that and sell it, that should be fine too. It's my intellect and my property.

I should be able to use my laptop as a tray.
    I should be able to use my CD drive tray as a cup holder.
    I could go on.

If I could sell enough laptops as trays, I would also go to jail. It's about volume and money. It's not really about kids at all. Adults doing this shit right now.