Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jeremy Grantham Forecasts Rough Seven Years For Equities, Bonds

FYI: eremy Grantham isn’t shaking his reputation as a perma-Bear.

His firm, Boston-based GMO, is out with its latest seven-year outlook and it doesn’t make for happy reading. GMO expects the annualized, inflation-adjusted return for U.S. stocks to be negative 4.2 percent over the period. U.S. bonds are forecast to lose 0.5 percent a year while emerging-market stocks, long a GMO favorite, are expected to climb 1.9 percent annually.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.fa-mag.com/news/jeremy-grantham-forecasts-rough-seven-years-for-equities--bonds-38168.html?print

Comments

• So basically we should be 100% invested in Emerging Markets for a 2% return???
    WTF not simply buy a CD ladder?
    Why does GMO not recommend that? I think we can lock in that rate now.
  • But wait! What about "ETF Manager Renounces Emerging Markets To Pile Into Gold"??
  • Okay, so cool for we investors (we've been warned).....what are the financial system ramifications which should flow over into a broad economy, which would flow into the social side of things. Reads like a move to the dark side of life.
  • @VintageFreak Note that GMO's forecasts always are for "real returns," which are returns adjusted for inflation. So a 2% real return would be 5% net if inflation is 3%.
  • @LewisBraham Point.
    However, if markets start tanking I doubt Fed will inflation get out of whack.
    In any case I thought GMO has been saying this for at least a couple of years now. Some day/year they will be right I suppose.
  • Also keep in mind GMO's forecasts are for broad asset classes, and in the case of bonds, very broad asset classes. Even if GMO's nailed it for broad classes, the Pimcos et al. of the investment world aren't necessarily stuck with those returns.