Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone have a favorite Floating Rate (M*=Bank Loan) Fund?

beebee
edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
Thanks to Scott's video interviews linked here with Jeff G... The Bond King... got me thinking about floating rate funds.

I am new to this space so any comments, resources, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Three floating rate funds mentioned in this article.

thestreet.com/print/story/11702076.html

• edited September 2012
    if you don't mind closed end funds, JRO has been my favorite for the last 5 years. Nuveen more recently added a shorter duration one, JSD. i like both of them. they keep increasing distributions paid out from income. Nuveen is very transparent and updates information often. current cheap cost of leverage is a plus too (in my book). cefconnect.com is a site to check on these or other closed-end funds.
  • edited September 2012
    Might consider Price's new offering, PRFRX, up 5.02% YTD. Doesn't yet have a 1-year track record.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions...
  • Howdy bee,
    This link is a small list of short and long term returns.

Bank Loan funds

Also, go to the Resources drop down meun here, select Navigator, then at the fund search box......type floating .......which will generate a long list of floating rate funds. Some will be duplicates of various share classes.

I have watched Fidelity's floating rate fund and it is doing okay; but I don't know whether the time has arrived, for more sustained forward movement.
    We don't have any money in this area right now.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: Can a floating rate fund turn into a sinking rate fund? (I'll bet it could if I invested in it.)
  • edited September 2012
    LSFYX among the open end funds and BKLN among the ETFs, albeit I wouldn't touch an ETF anything with a ten foot pole (but that's just me)