Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Mutual Fund will GAIN IF We Have a Recession?

2»

Comments

• Reply to @Investor: Hi Investor. Thanks for your input. I don't see how LT Treasuries could go any lower.... but that's what I thought a year ago. But I guess the thought of "safety" is what continues their input. I have quite a few ETFs on my Watch List... but I really dislike their inability to auto re-invest dividends (at least in Scottrade). With my current fairly significant amount in BOND, that means I have to make monthly dececisions on re-investments... and pay the $7 if I want to just put back to BOND.

At least one of the MF I've narrowed it down to has decent amount of treasuries, so that combined with a couple of the others I mentioned to AndyJ should allow good managers to decide and let David feel comfortable with steady small gains that won't collapse during the next extended downturn (hopefully).
  • Reply to @fundalarm: Thanks for the follow-up, fundalarm. You're right. What I should have asked is "what is known today about the type of crash we are most likely to have next... and the differences between that and 2008." I thought that would be more answerable than "when will the next crash be," - and I always assume that you and the people here I have come to trust implicity know much more than is probably possible about projecting the future.

But as you said, with such a short duration of less than 4 months on RPHYX, I do feel very comfortable using this investment for David's Roth.
  • When I asked myself the same question back after the turn of the century crash, I plotted Fidelity offerings in my husbands 401k and ended up with FSICX. It showed minimal damage during that type of downturn. But the type of downturn we had in 2007+ was different and FSICX dropped like a rock. Admittedly, it recovered rapidly. I no longer believe in that resilient fund that can deliver some decent return while remaining impervious to everything. And yes, I do keep searching for it anyway.
  • Reply to @Anna: Thanks, Anna.... let me know if you find a such a MF gem.