Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How many different mutual funds and etfs do you own?

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
you can use the poll on the right hand side to answer.

it may not provide anything significant, but it may prove interesting.

if you have the same fund in multiple accounts
(roth and traditional and non-ira - just include it once in your count.)

click #polldata to see other discussions with polls.

Comments

• 20 mutual funds, 2 ETFs, 4 individual stocks.
  • 17 mutual funds, 1 CEF, 0 stocks.
  • 18 mutual funds
  • edited September 2012
    Self-imposed limit of 20 including money market funds. Occasional weeding required.
    (3 - 5 should be adequate. But ... whatever oils your clock-:)
  • edited September 2012
    This question asked so many times...The number that is the correct is the one that let's you sleep at night.
  • edited September 2012
    Hello,

I employe, what I call, a win, place, show investment strategy in which each investmet category that I invest in usually holds three funds. And, with that, the total comes to more than fifty funds. This includes my taxable account, my IRA account and my 401k account.

Good Investing,
    Skeeter
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @VintageFreak:

As you may note the question you inferred is not the same question I asked. I didn't ask for the correct number or the optimal number. It was a curiousity question (stated in the poll title).

My gut feeling is

people active in mutual fund forums

- have more funds (possibly twice as many as the average fund owner), which can be attributed to the following reasons...

- perceived diversification,
    - the latest boutique fund has opened and they want a piece of it.
    - more active investing to get a hopeful boost out of a fund that they found out about.
    - the more a fund a gets mentioned positively in discussions or has a commentary written about, the more chance a toehold in that fund will be made.
    - I am also of the opinion if you do your own selection and self-advise (so to speak), rather than going to an financial advisor, you tend to have more funds on average.

- etc. etc.

I am not saying anything is good or bad, but I would suggest that the average forum reader (and someone who doesn't use a financial advisor for fund picking) has a greater number of funds than the average fund owner (based on no evidence).

• This poll is an eye opener, at least for me. So far, looks like I am the only one voting less than five.
  • We used to have as many as 18 funds; currently have 10 and sort of limit ourselves to 10. Basic reason: almost 20 years of experience suggests that careful selection (i.e., identifying fund managers who are people worth trusting) is more important than having more funds that try to capture every nuance.

FWIW,

Archaic
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Archaic:

I think I've followed the same trajectory as you (but starting from a higher number), but not quite down to 10 yet.
  • I'm up to nine---all open-ended funds. Too many for my liking, but I'm living these days with some 403b residue which has been rolled-over to IRA. And I like the way those funds are behaving, so I'm not going to dump 'em yet. To further diversify (sort of) I recently added two more to my existing bunch, which takes me to nine. Some are grossly overweighted, other represent just 3% or so of holdings.
  • for $100K portfolio 5-10 may work, but for $500K, I think most here would "feel" more diversified with 20+.
  • At present I own three ETF's and one open-ended mutual fund.
    Regards,
    Ted

PowerShares NASDAQ-100( QQQ)
    SPDR S&P 500 (SPY)
    iShares Preferred Stock Index Fund (PFF)
    T. Rowe Price Health Sciences Fund (PRHSX)
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Accipiter: Thanks for taking the trouble to set-up this poll and also to the respondents willing to share. Also, you have explained some good reasons why the poll may be skewed a certain way. Overlooked - at least in part - is a considerable amount of "sampling bias." A couple ways that comes into play: (1) Sample Bias #1 - Those who login to MFO are more likely to be "active" investors with an above average interest in funds - and as a consequence may own a larger than normal number of funds than fund investors who don't visit the site. (2) Sample Bias #2 - MFO participants are comfortable using the Internet - not true of the total population (especially the 60+ group). We can assume a significant % also buy, trade, sell funds over the Internet. There are statistics out there showing that those who access their fund accounts via the Internet actually buy and sell funds more often than those who don't. - I'd expect that more buying and selling translates into an overall larger number of funds owned.

Still find this poll both interesting and of value. Having done one myself before, I can appreciate the time and effort you put into it.

Brief article about sampling bias. http://onlinestatbook.com/2/research_design/sampling.html
  • edited September 2012
    -:)
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Ted: Nice show. Near as I can tell, YTD returns:

-PowerShares NASDAQ-100( QQQ) +26.47%
    -SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) +17.89%
    -iShares Preferred Stock Index Fund (PFF) +16.38%
    -T. Rowe Price Health Sciences Fund (PRHSX) +35.52%

Regards, hank
  • Hank: Thanks, but I have only held PRHSX & PFF the entire year. Recently, have retaken a position in SPY & QQQ that I sold in late spring to move to bond funds. I like equities over bonds for the remainder of the year,
    Regards,
    Ted
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 9 mutual funds
    1 fund of funds
    5 ETFs/CEFs
  • Reply to @Maurice: I treated it as one fund. The one I own is PAUDX.
  • 20 mutual funds over 4 IRA/Roth IRA/401k accounts between me and wife.

Top 5: 46.13% of the portfolio.
    Top 10: 71.73% of the portfolio

Bottom 5: 6.21% of the portfolio
    Bottom 10: 28.27% of the portfolio

I guess my portfolio could have been downsized to 12-15 funds easily but I hold a number of token positions in small cap funds, some of which are closed
  • Archaic reminds me of the Buffet suggestion that you get a limited number of choices, like punches on a card. I am trimming my numbers for the same reasons.
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Rbrt: Makes sense. If you maintain a pretty constant number - even some that are similar - when one turns sour you weed it out in favor of the stronger ones. I like to do this slowly, as it can take years to confirm than a fund has gone bad - not just hit a rough patch. Case in point: QRAAX was one of the first (I think the very first) commodities funds - approved by the SEC in '97. Paid the "A" load the following year to get some commodity exposure previously unavailable through mutual funds. Nice ride first 10 years as it more than tripled in value. For whatever reason, it fell off a cliff starting in '08 and has never recovered. Been slowly shifting into PRAFX and PRPFX which already owned.

- PS: Commodity funds seem to encounter greater turbulence due to changes in SEC regulations, accounting procedures, tax codes and legislation. QRAAX relies on derivatives and is probably more vulnerable to these forces than others might be. fwiw
  • edited September 2012
    hello
    These are the main/mostly concentrated ones

PRPFX
    PSPFX
    LSBRX
    VPCCX
    VGSTX
    QQQQ
    SPY
    PFF
    VHT
    VEU
  • My core positions are about 10% and the others, never less than 5% of the total value. Less than 5%, they don't seem to have much impact on the total performance. Given those restrictions, I have 17 funds.
  • Hi johnN,
    If you "edit" these tickers to caps; everyone will be able to hover for the name; and also right click here at MFO, for further review, via their chosen web site.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • edited September 2012
    I am now down to three - PONDX, ANGIX, and MNHYX. Lost patience with MWCRX and replaced it with ANGIX. I can see where I will soon be only in PONDX and ANGIX. As long as I can get equity-like fund returns from bond funds and with less than half and more the volatility, will stick with bonds. Also, as I get older, I try to contain any drawdown as much possible and that is much easier with bond funds than equity funds.
  • Hey Hiyield007,
    Was just about to "ping" you here to ask about the transistion that has been in place since about Sept. 13 in some of the HY/HI stuff. But, your list above tells the story. You have already moved.
    We don't use HYG or JNK; but both have been going backwards. The active managed HY funds we hold are holding okay; but keeping a close eye.
    May be a bit more PONDX at this house, too. Checked on your noted holding of ANGIX; which holds a bunch of non-agency mortgage stuff, eh; but this fund is not available via Fidelity.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: Mark, ANGIX is available where I trade (Scottrade) and in smaller amounts than the 1m minimum shown on Morningstar. It is a fee fund though and I hold much more in PONDX. Not sure why I even went into ANGIX because to me it is just a duplication of PONDX. Seems like the brain trusts at PIMCO, DoubleLine, and TCW are big on non-agency mortgage stuff. I am sure on days like today you enjoy your 100% bond portfolio even more.
  • edited September 2012
    RNSIX
    AQRIX
    FAAFX
    WBMIX
    SFGIX
    DODBX

Highest to lowest portfolio holdings.

I tend to agree with HiYield...hard to ignore equity-like returns with bond funds right now, while it lasts.

I recently sold RPHYX, adding to AQRIX.

Never did follow-through with ARIVX, after broker delay...covered for now with FAAFX, but did I pare back on it after recent advance to reduce portfolio volatility, which is currently under 10%.

So, six sweet funds.

Would like to get down to five or less in months ahead, but we will see...some other constraints in play for me.

But Ted...hats-off to your selection. Superb.