Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stock Market Storm Making Turn Towards Coastline

edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
Hello,

It looks like the Fed & ECB have done all they can recently to keep the stock market storm that has been brewing at bay and off the coast so to speak. Seems the time for talk has ended and it is now time for show me the corporate earnings numbers as earning season is soon to start. And, folks form my perspective stocks are not cheap as I compute them to be selling at about a P/E Ratio of 16.3 on trailing earnings. Forward earnings are projected to fall.

So where does this leave stocks? Either, a decline in their price or an expansion in their P/E Ratio? I'm thinking a decline in price.

I have linked an article by CNBC that will give more news on the subject ... I figure, land fall two weeks out or so, possibly sooner.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/honeymoon-over-markets-brace-volatile-075835545.html

Have a great day ... and, "Good Investing."

Skeeter

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I hear you, Skeeter- all hatches secured and sails trimmed.

OJ
  • edited September 2012
    In other words, this would not be the time to be "stuck" at Ocracoke island, attempting to reach Cedar Island; as the clouds to the east look threatning and finding that the last ferry has departed and the turn around drive to the north is too long.

Right click below link, then select; open in new window.

The last ferry has departed
  • I will welcome a good decline in prices (unless it is permanent). If that decline happens I will have made that last ferry. I will have been stuck on Ocracoke for a long, long time awaiting that ferrry though.
  • edited September 2012
    In case anybody's having trouble understanding this discussion: "Salty Sayings" http://www.julianstockwin.com/Salty Sayings.htm
  • edited September 2012
    Based on the list:
    (1) Nailing colors to the mast = Fed pronouncements
    (2) Loose cannon = Bernanke & QE 3
    (3) Hand over fist = double-digit profits YTD by a number of contributors
    (4) Loggerheads = our political & fiscal process
    (5) Slush-fund = our funding of elections
    (7) Spin a yarn = any number of candidates vying for office
    (8) High & dry = sitting in cash
    (9) Devil to pay = holders of long-term Treasuries
    (10) First Rate = MFO