Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fund purchase turn around time; outside of your primary vendor ???

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
Morn'in coffee,

Our using Fidelity as our primary account vendor, of course; finds that a sell of one fund to purchase another Fidelity fund will be a completed "in-house" transaction at 4pm pricing for that business day.
Knowing that a completed transaction turn around time will not be the same when buying an "outside fund" via Fidelity; as there will be the processing time for the other vendor, too; might you offer your experience with a similar circumstance?
NOTE: These are electronic transactions (no via the mail); and the Fidelity posting of a purchase indicating the buy price of the "outside fund", generally indicates 2 or 3 business days. This question is regarding open-end mutual funds and does not include etf's and related that could also be processed through a fund brokerage account.
I suspect this is a normal transaction period for those using other vendor platforms, too.
Thank you in advance for your report.
Regards,

Catch

Comments

• If I buy a fund, the purchase is usually completed by that evening or, the latest, the next morning. Only on a couple of occasions has a fund taken two days.
  • edited September 2012
    Purchases through Schwab at end of trading day. Haven't sold anything there yet, but I suspect the same. Perhaps they keep some in-house inventory of outside funds?
  • edited September 2012
    i confirm, Mark. your cash from the sale will not be available for your purchase for the same NAV day - it takes one day extra (at least) most of the time. Interestingly, my 401K allows for the same day transaction, while my husband's doesn't. We are solving a similar situation for an institutional investor at work transferring $80mill from one fund company to another -- still there is a day lag or we need to use the outside cash/leverage.
  • Catch: Typically you have 3 day settlement for non-Fidelity funds for swap.

However, instead of a fund swap, if you just sell the fund you will get credit next day and you can purchase another outside fund.