Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A different question about everyone's holdings:

edited May 2011 in Fund Discussions
Rather than ask everyone to list all of their holdings, I'm curious what everyone's largest holding is.

Comments

• HSTRX or HSGFX. Can't remember. I certainly put in the same amount of money in both.
  • edited May 2011
    I am curious why you did not begin by providing your largest holding first.

I have ARTKX (Artisan International Value) and PRPFX (Permanent Portfolio) approximately equal in dollar terms at this time. But the next 3 in my portfolio are also within 1% of these two.
  • FPA Crescent
    Oakmark Equity Income
  • edited May 2011
    Roughly tied between Harbor Bond, Vanguard GNMA, and Manning & Napier Conservative Blend. Largest pure stock fund holdings, again roughly tied for first place, are Parnassus Eq Inc, Matthews Asia Dividend, and Artisan Int'l Value.

I'm curious what yours are too, Scott, since you were talking earlier about where to put new money.
  • In my 401k, I have about 20% in a GIC (guaranteed fixed income fund paying 4.1%). Next highest holdings are 15% in FPACX FPA Crescent and 12% in PRPFX Perm Portf.
  • Manning & Napier Equity Series, followed by Dodge & Cox Balanced.
    I am finding this interesting, but suggest it would be more so if accompanied by some indication of age.
    OK, so I am "over 70".
  • Top 3 open ended mutual funds (I'm excluding index funds in my 401k) are:

AVEDX - Ave Maria Rising Dividend (plan to hold)
    FAIRX - Fairholme (plan to hold)
    DODFX - Dodge and Cox International (have held for 6+ years, reducing position)

I am under 70 years of age.
  • edited May 2011
    Tied among PRHYX, DODBX & CASH (money market/bank deposits), each about 12.8%. First 2 are fairly static allocations. Cash varies. Lump cash & DODIX together for my purposes and together total almost 20% ...... Dubious what you'll learn from this. Age explains some of whats being reported (65). However, portfolios likely contain off-setting risk assets, so theres gonna be pieces missing from the picture. Family, health, sources of income, and how much time and effort someones willing to devote all influence how they invest.
  • hehe. that's because he is going to go and buy all our highest holdings in equal amounts for his portfolio:-P
  • IVA Worldwide (IVWIX) at 17% of our portfolio.

• stable value.
  • edited May 2011
    #1: ANCFX, American Funds Fundamental Investors, 21% of portfolio
    #2: ABALX, American Funds Balanced, 20%
    #3: AHITX, American Funds High Income Trust, 12%

Cash/Equivalents: 36%
    Bond Funds: 33%
    Equity Funds: 31%

Note that we do not pay any load at American Funds.
  • Three balanced funds, each about 10 of my portfolio:
    OAKBX-Oakmark Equity and Income
    PRWCX-T Rowe Price Capital Apreciation
    MACSX-Mathews Asia growth and Income

This fall I plan to add VWELX (Vanguard Wellington), thereby completing my own, personal "bunker" in which I will ride out the next bear market.

Cee
  • Hi Scott,
    DLTNX (Doubleline Total Return) at 11%
  • Largest holding is in a Trad. IRA: Matthews Asia Div. fund at 41.35% of total. I may be re-jiggering things soon. May become semi-retired before too long.

Number 2---second-largest holding: RYDVX Royce Dividend Value at 17.66% of total holdings. It's done pretty well, despite the fact that its promised dividend is a smelly, stinky, lousy, ridiculous ONE Cent. (X4/year, plus whatever cap gains there are, annually.)
  • Delafield DEFIX
    Croft Value CLVFX
    Fairholme FAIRX

I'm 62 years old

I still like the first two, but because FAIRX is way too big for my liking I switched about half into FAAFX (Fairholme Allocation). Both these Fairholme funds have had very disappointing returns for more than a year. But since Berkowicz has made me a lot of money in the past, I am sticking with him for now-- I'm hoping that he is on to a new HOT idea and is merely ahead of the crowd (N.B. I am often delusional). But generally my rule is to give a talented manager 3 years before I cut him loose-- I feel anyone can have one bad year.
  • Largest PRPFX Permanent Portfolio

Next Largest holdings in approximate equal holdings
    FPACX FPA Crescent
    PRWCX Price capital Apreciation
    BERIX Berwyn Income
    MAPIX Matthews Asia Div.

• IVA Worldwide (IVWIX)
  • SGENX- First Eagle Global
  • FPACX @ 16% of equities; 12% of total portfolio
    IVWIX @ 15% of equities: 11% of total portfolio
  • Cash @ 16% of total portfolio
  • Vanguard Capitol Opportunity