Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Five Tricks You Can Learn From Professional Money Managers

FYI: Year after year, they stood above their peers because they had a very strict discipline that made them successful over their careers. Although many mutual fund managers have trouble beating their relative benchmarks on a regular basis, any investor looking for an extra edge should adopt their methods of professional portfolio management, which should increase their overall performance.
Regards,
Ted
http://mutualfunds.com/education/five-tricks-you-can-learn-from-professional-money-managers/

Comments

• The biggest trick is convincing us most of them still have value.
  • As strange as it may seem for a column in MutualFunds.com, this seems to be advice on how to manage a portfolio of individual securities. ("Just because a stock has done well in the past does not mean it will continue to do so forever.")

In the end, the column apparently agrees with you. Not only may fund managers not have value, neither may you, as you attempt to manage your own portfolio:

"The Bottom Line ... This ... could be quite difficult for a lone investor ... and an index fund might be a better fit."

YMMV:-)

• edited June 2018

A headline that I would like to see:

One Trick I Learned from Other Worthless Financial Posts

"One trick I learned from other worthless financial hacks is that if I write a column with "Five Tricks I Learned" in the header some guy named Ted will help me make a living writing useless crap by copying it to MFO".
  • @MFO Members: The five tips might have been best suited for the newbie investor, at least it was about fund investing, unlike Old-Joe's recent messages !
    Regards,
    Ted
    "Trump and Kirstjen Nielsen’s embarrassing surrender on separating families

"It's at once an admission that the politics of the issue had gotten out of hand and that the administration's arguments were completely dishonest."

"Helps equal out the free tuition to illegals."

"Care to back that up with a few facts? (That would be real facts, not the alternate type that you prefer.)"
  • @Ted- Have a nice day!
  • @MFO Mrembers "@Ted- Have a nice day!" means Joe put his foot in his mouth !
  • @Ted- No, but you do know exactly what it means.
  • Agree. For small investors, it is much easier to use index funds. After all we all got full time jobs.